Unreal: Family Pet Survives 30 YEARS Living in a Record Player Box Inside Filthy Storage Room
(Foto: Perla Rodrigues/ TV Globo)
TheBlaze: Many might say it is impossible for a tortoise to survive three decades living in a record player box inside a filthy storage room. Those people would also be wrong.
One fateful day 30 years ago, a pleasant Brazilian family lost their tortoise named Manuela. Little did they know he never even left. As Gizmodo humorously puts it, “Manuela got condemned to three decades of solitude in a dark dusty place full of crap.”
The tortoise apparently got lost while the family’s home was being renovated in the 1980s. Sueli Almeida said he thought “she had fled because the mason who did the work of the house leaving the gate open.”
But that wasn’t the case. Manuela apparently got trapped in the storage room where the man of the house, Leonel Almedia, stored a variety of worthless junk, including electronic devices. Inside an old box of a record player is where Manuela the tortoise would call home for 30 years.
Gizmodo tells us how Manuela was ultimately found:
Fast forward to right now, 30 years after that renovation. Sueli’s father died at the beginning of 2013, so it was time to clean the room where Leonel had been storing all this filthy stuff for all these years:
According to Sueli, the dad was obsessed about collecting crap that he thought may be used in the future: “he picked from the street everything he thought he could. If he saw an old television, he would get it, thinking that he could use some part to fix another gadget in the future. That’s how he kept accumulating things.”
But, in all this time of collecting electronic trash, he never noticed the poor trapped tortoise. Only when they cleaned the room and they were putting all this garbage outside, someone noticed it. It was a neighbor who told them, said Leandro de Almeida, Leonel’s son: “I put the bag of trash on the floor and the neighbor asked me if I was going to throw the turtle away too. I couldn’t believe my eyes.”
A Brazilian news channel talked with veterinary professor Jeferson Pires to figure out exactly how the animal could have survived all that time inside the storage room. The professor said turtles are very resilient and can “live long without eating much” despite unfavorable conditions.
The family says Manuela probably lived off of termites and other insects in the house, but they don’t really care. They are thrilled to have the family pet back in the house.
And they lived happily ever after. It’s unclear if the tortoise still has some unresolved resentment towards his family.
January 31, 2013 - Posted by justonemorepet | animal abuse, animal behavior, Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, Just One More Pet, Pets, responsible pet ownership, Stop Animal Cruelty, Toughen Animal Abuse Laws and Sentences, Unusual Stories, We Are All God's Creatures, Wild Animals | animal abuse, Brazil, filth, horders, idiots, irresponsibility, reptiles, stop animal abuse, stupidity, tortoise, toughen animal abuse laws and sentences, turtles and tortoises, We Are All God's Creatures
No comments yet.
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
As I have been fighting Cancer… A battle I am gratefully winning, my furkids have not left my side. They have been a large part of my recovery!! Ask Marion
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Help Make a Difference
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California cancer canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Good Dog: Small Dog, Big Heart February 26, 2015Illustration by John Cuneo by Wells Tower – June/July 2014 - Garden & Gun - Cross-Posted at Just One More Pet The nervous work of owning—and finally loving—a Chihuahua For many years, I thought that owners of small dogs harbored stunted souls. Parents of infant beauty queens. Weird bachelors with pet stairs by their beds. […]justonemorepet
- Dog Mourns The Heart-Breaking Loss Of His Brother January 31, 2015Brutus Cries for Brother Hank By Marion Algier – Just One More Pet The message… animals have feelings too. This shows one dog’s reaction to finding out his twin brother had passed during the night. Brutus, does not want to leave his brother Hanks side even after he’s passed away. Brutus stays close, and […]justonemorepet
- GoDaddy pulls ‘lost puppy’ Super Bowl ad after igniting firestorm on social media January 29, 2015Video: GoDaddy pulls hilarious, humorous or tasteless ‘lost puppy’ Super Bowl ad after igniting firestorm on social media -> You be the judge…justonemorepet
- In Memory of Rosie – Until We Meet Again on Rainbow Bridge January 19, 2015Rosie By Patricia D. Gillenwater Our sweet Rosie passed on to the Rainbow Bridge today after succumbing to the Big C. Rosie came into our lives in a serendipitous moment. She needed us and, after two losses of two wonderful rescue critters for extreme health issues, we needed Rosie. She was with us for nearly […]justonemorepet
- There’s Just One Thing That All Dogs Want To Know January 19, 2015By Harrison’s Natural Dog Training There’s just one thing that all dogs want to know, and they need you to answer it. Between raising the kids and making meals, working a shift, going to soccer games, swimming lessons, making time for your better half, going to the gym walking the dog..well.. the list could go […]justonemorepet
- PETA’s Palin Craziness January 7, 2015By Marion Algier – Excerpted from Our Weasel Of The Week Nominees 01-06-15 !! at Ask Marion My Weasel of the Week nominee is PETA!! . Sarah Palin posted a photo of her 6-year-old special needs son, Trig, trying to help with the dishes. Nobody immediately reacted when he said he needed help to reach […]justonemorepet
- Happy New Year 2015 From Just One More Pet January 2, 2015Take a moment to enjoy the beautiful photographic train ride and the accompanying words: HERE.justonemorepet
- Our Favorite Photo of the 2014 Holiday Season – JOMP December 26, 2014 justonemorepet
- Merry Christmas 2014 From Just One More Pet December 24, 2014Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas And a fabulous Holiday Season May you be surrounded with the people, pets and things you love. May your heart be filled with joy and memories of former Christmases And may you be blessed by the story and love of the true reason for this beautiful season. The […]justonemorepet
- Christmas Fun and Wishes From Just One More Pet 2014 December 16, 2014
- Good Dog: Small Dog, Big Heart February 26, 2015
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on GoDaddy pulls ‘lost pupp… Dog, truly a gift!… on ‘Until One Has Loved an… In Memory of Rosie… on A Dog’s Purpose –… In Memory of Rosie… on Meowsa! Do our pets go to… In Memory of Rosie… on Celebrating Animals in the…
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!