Women sue Petco Kaneohe claiming groomers cut off their dogs’ body parts… and then Trying to glue ears back on
Just a trim, thanks.
Two Hawaii animal owners are suing a local Petco location, claiming that groomers at the pet shop mutilated their dogs and, in one case, tried to cover up the hack job using glue, HawaiiNewsNow reports.
Last July, Gladys Kapuwai took her Pomeranian-Maltese mix to the Kaneohe Petco for routine grooming, but when the grandmother retrieved "Dodo," she noticed that the puppy was missing a piece of her ear.
"[She] was dried, bloody, was dry blood, everything," Kapuwai told the website. "I noticed that at home, so when I took her to the vet, the doctor had told me it looked like they tried to glue it back."
In another case, Estelle Green, the wife of attorney Michael Green, who is prosecuting both cases, picked up her dog to find that the pup’s nails were cut too short and bleeding, according to the Star Advertiser.
"The dog was filthy and the tip of the dog’s tail was cut off," Michael Green added.
"My dog, they offered another free grooming," Green also told HawaiiNewsNow. "I guess they wanted to take off other body parts."
I find this exceptionally disturbing because something similar happened to my friend at PetSmart in Ohio…
See: Bailey’s Not So Good Trip to the Groomer (below)
Attached are some pictures of Bailey, our Yorkie.
Baily and Maggie, part Shih Tzu and part Lab in fall 2010
We usually take Bailey for grooming about every 8 weeks or so. Otherwise his hair gets matted. In the winter, the snow gets packed in his fur and it becomes ice balls.
We took Bailey to PetSmart today to be groomed. On the way home from the groomer, he kept rubbing his right eye. He seemed to be squinting too.
Bailey… Don’t I look cute after being groomed?
He kept getting worse, so I called PetSmart and asked if anything had happened during the grooming session. They thought perhaps a hair had gotten in his eye. I also called our regular vet to see if he could be seen tomorrow, but they were booked.
PetSmart offered that we could come in and they would flush his eye.
We took him into PetSmart before 5pm to get the eye flushed. He laid down for a while and by 6pm his eye was swollen shut.
I called Pet Smart again and asked if there was anything they could do. They talked to the vet that they have in the store and told us to come ASAP before the vet closed.
The vet did a test and it showed that they had clipped his eye with the razor.
The vet said they call it an ulcer of the eye in this situation. The test consisted of putting a drop of solution in Bailey’s eye and then checking under a blue light to see if the eye turned green, meaning he had been clipped. His entire eye turned green, but the vet said the good thing was that the cut wasn’t very deep.
Poor little guy. We have some medicine to put in his Bailey’s eye and he has to wear one of those collars for a week. We have an appointment to re-check it after a week.
“He’s gonna be alright, but it was a surprise to find out that these things do happen. Who would think that taking your pet to the groomer could be so dangerous?”
PetSmart is picking up the bill for the vet.
Good for PetSmart for stepping up to pay for the vet, but you have to wonder why the groomer wouldn’t have noticed that they clipped Bailey’s eye or at least that something was wrong and then have it checked by the in-house vet before sending him home?!?
My niece was a manager of one of PetSmart’s grooming salons and overall they do a good job, especially for a mega-chain, but accidents do happen and each facility and its management and staff is different. And taking your pet to a more expensive or high end salon does not mean they will be any better or that your pet will be any safer or better groomed!
It certainly is a reminder that we need to be vigilant and pay attention!!
h/t to Jean Stoner for sharing her and Bailey’s story
The moral here is stay at the store when your pet is being groomed. Watch through the window or at least check in now and then. And check your dog before you leave. This does not seem to be as rare as we all would like to think. And if it happens to you… your pet, stand-up and demand fair treatment. Demand they pay medical bills now and in the future and any other compensation you feel is fair… and get it all in writing! This negligence that causes pain and suffering to animals and their owners is just wrong!
February 15, 2012 - Posted by justonemorepet | Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, Dogs, If Animlas Could Talk..., Just One More Pet, Pet Friendship and Love, Pets, We Are All God's Creatures | pet groomers, Petco, PetSmart
2 Comments »
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
As I have been fighting Cancer… A battle I am gratefully winning, my furkids have not left my side. They have been a large part of my recovery!! Ask Marion
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Help Make a Difference
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California cancer canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Chicago-area dog flu cases climb to over 1,100, including six deaths April 16, 2015(Joop Snijder Jr. | Shutterstock) April 15, 2015 – Reuters At least 1,137 Chicago-area dogs have come down with a highly contagious strain of canine flu, and six have died, in the largest and longest-lasting dog flu outbreak ever seen in the region, county officials said on Tuesday. Veterinarians began reporting cases of Canine Infectious […]justonemorepet
- Unusual Friends March 21, 2015By Marion Algier – JOMP Big Dog and Calf are virtually same size and new best friendsjustonemorepet
- Hermosa March 21, 2015By Marion Algier – JOMP St. Patrick’s Day Baby… Hermosa. Our niece adopted a Mustang, Eclipse, who was pregnant. Eclipse gave birth to her new baby midday; a wonderful St. Patty’s Day gift. Welcome little filly!justonemorepet
- Nevada Law Would Make ‘Pot for Pets’ Legal March 19, 2015Medical marijuana is dispensed at the Takoma Wellness Center, Oct. 10, 2014, in Takoma Park, DC. Evelyn Hockstein/The Washington Post/Getty Images ABC Health News – Mar 18, 2015, 1:54 PM ET - By LIZ NEPORENT – Cross-Posted at Just One More Pet (JOMP) and True Health Is True Wealth (THITW) A new bill introduced […]justonemorepet
- Hero Dog Saves Owner Clinically Dead for 30-Minutes March 12, 2015Life With Dogs: A woman named Joanna Mellor had her life saved after going into cardiac arrest and being clinically dead for half an hour when her dog barked until her boyfriend woke up and called for an ambulance. The UK woman was sleeping on January 2nd when she suffered a heart attack and stopped […]justonemorepet
- Good Dog: Small Dog, Big Heart February 26, 2015Illustration by John Cuneo by Wells Tower – June/July 2014 – Garden & Gun – Cross-Posted at Just One More Pet The nervous work of owning—and finally loving—a Chihuahua For many years, I thought that owners of small dogs harbored stunted souls. Parents of infant beauty queens. Weird bachelors with pet stairs by their beds. […]justonemorepet
- Dog Mourns The Heart-Breaking Loss Of His Brother January 31, 2015Brutus Cries for Brother Hank By Marion Algier – Just One More Pet The message… animals have feelings too. This shows one dog’s reaction to finding out his twin brother had passed during the night. Brutus, does not want to leave his brother Hanks side even after he’s passed away. Brutus stays close, and […]justonemorepet
- GoDaddy pulls ‘lost puppy’ Super Bowl ad after igniting firestorm on social media January 29, 2015Video: GoDaddy pulls hilarious, humorous or tasteless ‘lost puppy’ Super Bowl ad after igniting firestorm on social media -> You be the judge…justonemorepet
- In Memory of Rosie – Until We Meet Again on Rainbow Bridge January 19, 2015Rosie By Patricia D. Gillenwater Our sweet Rosie passed on to the Rainbow Bridge today after succumbing to the Big C. Rosie came into our lives in a serendipitous moment. She needed us and, after two losses of two wonderful rescue critters for extreme health issues, we needed Rosie. She was with us for nearly […]justonemorepet
- There’s Just One Thing That All Dogs Want To Know January 19, 2015By Harrison’s Natural Dog Training There’s just one thing that all dogs want to know, and they need you to answer it. Between raising the kids and making meals, working a shift, going to soccer games, swimming lessons, making time for your better half, going to the gym walking the dog..well.. the list could go […]justonemorepet
- Chicago-area dog flu cases climb to over 1,100, including six deaths April 16, 2015
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on Unusual Friends Nevada Law Would Mak… on Canada marijuana growers use w… Nevada Law Would Mak… on More Dogs (and Cats) Getting H… Nevada Law Would Mak… on Nevada Law Would Make ‘P… Nevada Law Would Mak… on Canada marijuana growers use w…
- Watcher of Weasels watcherofweasels.org/the-council-ha… via @WeaselWatcherThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 5 days ago
- Watcher of Weasels watcherofweasels.org/forum-should-f… via @WeaselWatcherThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 5 days ago
- RT @happydawgblawg: The shelter is super full and these shining diamonds are looking for a home to c...: The shelter is super full... http:…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 week ago
- RT @BraveConWarrior: Comedian Who Said Vile Things About Sarah Palin ➠ STUNNED When He Meets Her And She Does This bit.ly/1FZgAEu h…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 week ago
- RT @GirlInEruption: Another Killary Flip-Flop -- til she figured out it wouldn't get her votes #UniteBlue #HillaryClinton #ClintonMaggots h…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 week ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!