PAKISTANI BLOGGER SLAMS ISLAMIC FEAST OF EID: ‘CALL ME AN INFIDEL’ BUT I CAN‘T ’MAKE MERRY‘ AT ’MASS-MURDERING’ CUTE ANIMALS
One of the most significant religious holidays celebrated by Muslims across the globe is the Eid Al-Adha, or “Festival of Sacrifice.” The three-day feast commemorates the biblical prophet Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son Ishmael in submission to God. To this end, millions of animals – goats, sheep, cows and camels – are sacrificed for the occasion.
A few days before the holiday began on November 7 a Pakistani blogger, Saad Zuberi, wrote a semi-satirical, semi-serious piece for The Express Tribune newspaper titled, “10 Things I Hate About Bakra Eid.”
Zuberi also noted the hypocrisy in Muslim children being scolded for watching action movies but not for watching the “brutal” slaughter of animals en masse, stating, ”…some parents think that watching Jackie Chan act like a nincompoop in a movie is bad influence for their kids, but that watching four blood-soaked men brutally attack, slaughter, skin and butcher an 800-pound cow – live – is healthy entertainment.”
Below is Zuberi’s laundry list of the many things he hates about Eid:
“10 Things I Hate About Bakra Eid”
1. The smell of goats, blood and freshly slaughtered meat. It’s everywhere!
2. Call me an infidel, but I just can’t bring myself to make merry at the idea of mass-murdering a few hundred thousand cute, furry, unsuspecting farm animals in a span of 72 hours… and that too publicly, in front of a sadistically gleeful audience.
3. All the barbeque talk. Show some sensitivity, people!
4. The questions: Are you slaughtering a goat or a cow? How much will you be spending this year? Only two days left, dude, where’s your animal? Seriously guys, I’ll get whatever I want, whenever I want – the fact that I’ll probably only be able to afford an undernourished midget cow is my business and my business alone!
5. How everyone, including some highly intelligent people, lose their marbles a week before Eid, spending every day just staring at their animals. Poor thing’s bound to get the heebie-jeebies!
6. Eid morning – help me God if I have to leave the house and witness the genocide… which I always do, with unrealistic expectations of remaining all Zen at the sight of blood and gutted animals.
7. Becoming a vegetarian for a couple of weeks after freaking out at the sight of above-mentioned blood. Especially if you’re the kind of person who actually looks forward to his weekly steaks and hamburgers.
8. How the true essence of the tradition is lost on most of us – people would gladly spend bundles of cash on four goats and two cows at Bakra Eid [i.e. Eid-ul-Adha] so they can feed their own greed and gluttony by stuffing their deep-freezers to full capacity, but go berserk if a truly deserving person should ask them for a little meat to feed his/her hungry children some other time during the year.
9. How some parents think that watching Jackie Chan act like a nincompoop in a movie is bad influence for their kids, but that watching four blood-soaked men brutally attack, slaughter, skin and butcher an 800 pound cow – live – is healthy entertainment.
10. Post-Bakra Eid dinner parties with red-meat dishes in great abandon. How very subtle!
Source: The Blaze
Operation Bagdad Pups - No Buddy Gets Left Behind
November 10, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | animal abuse, Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, Just One More Pet, Political Change, Stop Animal Cruelty, We Are All God's Creatures | Bakra Eid, Eid-ul-Adha, Islam, Islam and Animals, Muslims, stop animal abuse, stop animal sacrifices, stop animal torture | 10 Comments
Despite Occupy Denver’s efforts to remain leaderless, the city’s mayor has asked that they appoint one so that officials know who to go to when they need assistance, information, etc.
“At the DNC riot, we were able to locate a few of the leaders and talk to them directly, but for Occupy Denver we can’t go around and talk to everyone in the park directly,” Matthew Murray, public information officer for the Denver Police Department, said in a Westward post.
“That’s one of the issues of this style of hierarchy.”
So how did demonstrators react to the city’s request? They did what any sane and logical group would do: they elected a Border Collie-mix named Shelby as their leader.
See the video of the election that was posted on YouTube:
Part of the reasoning behind the selection was posted on the YouTube page (either the caps lock button is broken or the author is really, truly excited for this development):
SHELBY IS THE FIRST ELECTED LEADER OF ANY OCCUPY MOVEMENT. WE ELECTED HER ON NOVEMBER 5TH BECAUSE SHE IS MORE OF A PERSON THAN A CORPORATION IS AND LESS CORRUPT THAN MOST PEOPLE. SHE IS THE YOUNGEST, FIRST, AND ONLY DOG LEADER OF THIS REVOLUTION.
“She’s the youngest leader of a revolution in history and the first of any occupation so far, but she’s smart, so people know she won’t make any situations,” said Peter John Jentsch, the dog’s owner, in the Westward story.
“We just have to make sure she doesn’t get arrested.”
Jentsch promised to be her “bodyguard,” but not to speak in any meetings with officials (which will most likely result in extremely one-sided conversations).
But the reasoning for nominating the dog went beyond symbolism: one of the Occupy Denver organizers wanted to stick it to filmmaker Michael Moore.
Apparently, when a multimillionaire talks about “income inequality,” it rubs people the wrong way.
Organizer Aaron “Al” Nesby says he nominated Shelby because he was annoyed when Michael Moore recently visited Occupy Denver and “acted like the movement’s leader.”
He figured a canine leader would be more down to earth, writes Westward.
Shelby is “a smart and fun dog,” Nesby told his fellow protesters.
Plus she “can breathe, bleed, and show emotion. These three things alone obviously prove she’s more like a person than a corporation.”
Source: The Blaze
Trapdoor spiders are not only shocking to their prey — they sense vibrations of prey above their burrowed holes and pop up to get them — but a recent discovered shocked Australian scientists as well.
National Geographic reports senior curator at the Western Australian Museum Mark Harvey received a jar with an unusual spider inside from a man who found it near his house:
“I nearly fell over when I saw its white head,” [Harvey said.]
“Spiders are a diverse group of animals that fascinate and terrify many people,” though they’re crucial in keeping insect populations in check, he said.
“The world would be a poorer place without spiders.”
(Photo: Volker W. Framenau via National Geographic)
The head of this what’s considered to be a new species of trapdoor spiders is completely white — so it’s not a really a true albino. National Geographic reports Harvey as saying this spider is the only known of its kind. It is just over an inch wide.
Source: The Blaze
November 10, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, Just One More Pet, Unusual Stories, Wild Animals | albino spider, National Geographic, spiders, Trapdoor spiders | Leave a comment
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies Puppy puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014Video: Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + Technorati Tags: Movie Dogs,Movies,Movie Animals,Dogs,Rin Tin Tin,Lassie,Benji,Asta,Toto,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Hero Dog Returns Home After Taking Bullet for Family March 6, 2014If Charlie had not been in the line of fire, bullets may have struck one of the family’s children, the dog’s owner says North Central Shelter Intervention Program via Facebook Charlie happily sits with her family on Monday, March 3, 2014, since undergoing surgery to have her leg amputated after heroically taking a bullet for […]justonemorepet
- Mr. Pepper – A Dachshund Escape March 4, 2014Too cute! Video: Mr. Pepper Technorati Tags: Dachshund,Puppies,Puppy,Cuteness,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Live: Iditarod (Sled Dog Race) 2014 from Anchorage Alaska is Underway March 2, 2014Iditarod 2014 is Underway… by Isabel Matos – A Time For Choosing The Iditarod 2014 Ceremonial Start started at 10 a.m. Alaska time today (March 1, 2014). It should end between the 9th and 21st of March. The Iditarod Sled Dog race will start from Willow as planned. Each team consists of 12 to 16 […]justonemorepet
- Arizona is Being Overrun by Packs of Vicious Wild Chihuahuas… Vicious? Really? February 27, 2014So what the heck is going on in Arizona? Vicious wild Chihuahuas? They are Chihuahuas for God sake… Why didn’t they notice this sooner? And as for Chihuahuas nipping people, even at kids… really? A big deal? Not so much in my book… And terrorizing neighborhoods? Again, really? A bit of a stretch I’d say, […]justonemorepet
- Pros & Cons of Neutering–Really? There are Cons? February 22, 2014Puppies rely on us to make informed decisions. Image Copr. Fernanda Cerioni/Flickr By Amy Shojai at Amy Shojai’s Bling, Bitches and Blood Yes, actually, there are and that may surprise you. It did me. After all, we’ve heard from animal welfare advocates for years preaching the gospel of spay/neuter. Heck, I preached this myself and […]justonemorepet
- Shovel Ready Jobs… February 22, 2014Amen!! Technorati Tags: Shovel Ready Jobs,Jobs,Signs,Truth,Comparisons,JOMP,Just One More Pet,Obamalandjustonemorepet
- US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy Saving Dogs of Sochi February 18, 2014One of the many dark tales coming out of Sochi is the revelation that Russian authorities have been executing stray dogs. US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy plans to do something about it by saving them. American Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy and Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska are doing their part to save the stray dogs in […]justonemorepet
- Logan’s Law passes big hurdle in attempt to create Michigan animal abusers registry February 11, 2014Logan, a husky owned by Matt Falk of Wales Township, died from complications of someone allegedly spraying acid in his face. / Gannett Michigan By Nicole Hayden – LSJ.com Gannett Michigan: Logan’s Law, a package of four bills designed to fight animal abuse passed through the Michigan House of Representatives Judiciary Committee on Thursday. “We […] […]justonemorepet
- BSL and Pit Bulls February 11, 2014What exactly is BSL? My Pit Bull Friend: BSL is an abbreviation for Breed Specific Legislation. Not only is this Legislation targeting specific breeds of dog, but dogs that appear to have characteristics of certain breeds. Your dogs may not even be close to what is on the ban list but may be affected negatively […]justonemorepet
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on BSL and Pit Bulls Welcome to the Sochi… on Crews Killing Thousands of Dog… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on ‘Until One Has Loved an… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Should You Adopt a Second… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Three Nuns Adopt the Senior Pi…
- CPAC 2014 – Day 2 Speeches wp.me/p1dXJI-5eW #CPAC2014There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 6 hours ago
- RT @ArcticFox2016: Liberal 'trolls' post list of conservative Facebook pages marked for takeover ow.ly/umZJ6 http://t.co/XuWqTcV…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 6 hours ago
- RT @SD_Wheeler: Now if this doesn't scare the shit out of you......... http://t.co/W54tisQ518There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 13 hours ago
- RT @gary4205: @MikeHersh Can I get some cookies then? Cummings' stunt was pure kabuki theater to distract from Obama's crimes against USA @…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 13 hours ago
- RT @AskMarion: Join Team Palin-Cruz 2016 palin-cruz.org #PallinCruz2016There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 13 hours ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!