Bebeto Matthews / AP
Willow, the 6-year calico cat that went missing from her Colorado home during a renovation 5 years ago, will soon be reunited with her owners.
For nearly a week now, the world has been wondering: How on earth did Willow the cat, who went missing five years ago, get from Colorado to New York City — a journey of almost 1,800 miles — and turn up on a city street looking well-fed and healthy?
Well, there may be an answer. An anonymous tipster with a photo of a kitty that looks remarkably like Willow claimed to the blog Gothamist to have been one of Willow’s NYC catsitters for a few months. According to the account, Willow was picked up as a stray in Colorado and brought, via plane, to a loving home in New York City.
Here’s the story, from the tip sent in to Gothamist:
I had Willow (aka Molly) for 3 months, while her NY owner was away for work. He fell in love with her on a ski trip when she was a stray in Colorado, and flew her back to Brooklyn, thinking she was too amazing to leave behind. She was vetted prior to flying, and none of her history came up. While in Brooklyn she was loved and very spoiled…she’s had quite an adventure, but there’s no great mystery behind her travels. Willow is a lovable cat who happens to fly well. She was brought to the shelter by someone who loved her very much, but was unable to give her all the time and attention she deserves.
I’m sure her Colorado family knows how extraordinary she is, and I am so thrilled she’s able to go home.
Gothamist contacted Jamie Squires, Willow’s original owner, who gave a big thank-you to whoever has been caring for Willow all this time.
Many pet owners are grateful, too: Willow’s tale has inspired an uptick in pet microchips (read more here); the technology is how, eventually, Willow was identified as the calico who slipped out the door at the Squires’ house during a home renovation five years ago.
Colorado cat, missing 5 years, is found on NYC street
Cat found on NYC street, going home to Colorado
Bright lights, smart kitty: How cat got so far
Is their dog a lost cause? Internet cries, No!
Maltese dog missing a year after car crash returned home
Source: Animals Tracks
September 20, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | animal behavior, Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, If Animlas Could Talk..., Just One More Pet, Pet Friendship and Love, Pets, Success Stories, Unusual Stories | animals finding their humans, cat on a plane, Cats, Colorado, incredible journey, New York City | Leave a comment
Video: The Elephant Sanctuary
Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee
Originally Uploaded by elephantsanctuarytn - March 17, 2011
An overview of nation’s largest natural habitat refuge for endangered Asian and African elephants. For more about this non-profit organization and to make a donation, please visit: www.elephants.com
Also see: www.elephantvoices.org
Comments by MaueKay - March 20, 2008
A natural habitat refuge for old, sick or needy, retired zoo and circus elephants: 2,700 acres of pastures and forests, where these complex and highly intelligent creatures can live their remaining years amongst their own kind, without chains or dominance.
Video: Elephants Reunited After 20-Years – KPBS Documentary
September 20, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal or Pet Related Stories, Animal Rescues, animals, Just One More Pet, Political Change, Stop Animal Cruelty, Success Stories, Unusual Stories, We Are All God's Creatures, Wild Animals | animals are Gods creatures too, circus animals, elephants, Zoo Animals | Leave a comment
Every dog needs a family that provides him with a loving pack structure. They need love, they need exercise and good food to thrive.
Sadly, in this shelter in Turkey dogs get GARBAGE for food and RAT JUICE instead of water. Don’t believe it? Click here for a hi-def picture in all it’s grotesque glory.
15 of them… each one more loving and playful than the other, living in absolute squalor and deprivation in a municipal shelter that can only be described as Hell on Earth.
Being there, hearing the cheerful yelps of the playful puppies mixed with the muted last breaths of the babies that are too weak to survive was a most harrowing experience. One that I’m sure very few people would be able to go through without breaking down in tears.
We have started the process of getting ALL the puppies out. And for this we need you.
We need to find loving homes for these babies, and it’s urgent. In this case, and due to the fact that it would take at least four months for us to organize the paperwork needed to send them to Europe we are going toprioritize adoptions in the USA and Canada.
But first, we need to get the babies out. Have them checked by the vet, etc… etc… then, once we have approved families for them we will organize the logistics of sending them all to their final homes.
Due to the sheer number of puppies this rescue is going to be a logistical challenge, involving tens of people, from the rescuers, to a number of clinics scattered all over town. Add to this that we don’t have enough foster homes in Istanbul and you get the idea.
You can help us in three ways:
1. SHARE this blogpost and seek assistance in your immediate network. Click on LIKE and SHARE…
2. ADOPT/FOSTER: If you are in the USA, Canada or Turkey please offer to become a long term foster or even better to open your home to one of this babies as a final adoptant.
3. SPONSOR: Please, please… Chipin here… that is going to be the only way we will be able to pull this one off.
These babies were born in the gates of hell. Show them that life can be a very different experience, that humans can also be beautiful and kind.
Contact me and apply for adoption: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some more pics of the babies we need to rescue, and it will give you an idea of the brutality they are being forced to endure in that hell hole.
September 20, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | Adopt Just One More Pet, Animal or Pet Related Stories, Animal Rescues, animals, Dogs, If Animlas Could Talk..., Just One More Pet, Man's Best Friend, Political Change, Stop Animal Cruelty, Toughen Animal Abuse Laws and Sentences, We Are All God's Creatures | animal abuse is wrong, animal advocates, Puppies, rescue a pet, rescuing puppies | Leave a comment
For over a year now the inmates at the Hutchinson Correctional Facility in Kansas have been dismantling old used mattresses that would have otherwise ended up in area landfills and recycling them. The steel from the springs and the cotton batting in the mattresses are recycled, generating money for prison operations. Wood from the mattresses has been fashioned into flower boxes and benches. Ad foam from the mattresses is being used by the prisoners in order to make dog beds not only for the two dog training programs in the prison but for are shelters as well. Every part of the old mattresses that would have once taken up space in a landfill is being used either in beautifying the prison, as a donation to the community, or in making money for the prison general fund.
The dog beds are being used by the two dog training programs taking place in the prison the Lucky Dog program, where inmates train and socialize shelter dogs in order to prepare them for adoption, and by the prison’s Canine Assistance Rehabilitation, Education and Services, or C.A.R.E.S., program, where dogs are trained to be service dogs.
Since the program creating dog beds out of the old mattress began about 3 months ago nearly 150 beds have been made. It takes at least six hours to make the larger dog beds. The beds not used in the prison for the two dog training programs and not donated to the local shelter they work with will be sold at an area veterinary clinic. All money made from the sale of these beds will go into the care of the dogs including having treats and leashes for training.
September 20, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal and Pet Photos, Dogs, Just One More Pet, Man's Best Friend, Pets, Service and Military Animals, Stop Euthenization | C.A.R.E.S. program, dog beds, Kansas, Lucky Dog program, recycling program, service dogs | Leave a comment
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
As I have been fighting Cancer… A battle I am gratefully winning, my furkids have not left my side. They have been a large part of my recovery!! Ask Marion
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Help Make a Difference
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California cancer canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Chicago-area dog flu cases climb to over 1,100, including six deaths April 16, 2015(Joop Snijder Jr. | Shutterstock) April 15, 2015 – Reuters At least 1,137 Chicago-area dogs have come down with a highly contagious strain of canine flu, and six have died, in the largest and longest-lasting dog flu outbreak ever seen in the region, county officials said on Tuesday. Veterinarians began reporting cases of Canine Infectious […]justonemorepet
- Unusual Friends March 21, 2015By Marion Algier – JOMP Big Dog and Calf are virtually same size and new best friendsjustonemorepet
- Hermosa March 21, 2015By Marion Algier – JOMP St. Patrick’s Day Baby… Hermosa. Our niece adopted a Mustang, Eclipse, who was pregnant. Eclipse gave birth to her new baby midday; a wonderful St. Patty’s Day gift. Welcome little filly!justonemorepet
- Nevada Law Would Make ‘Pot for Pets’ Legal March 19, 2015Medical marijuana is dispensed at the Takoma Wellness Center, Oct. 10, 2014, in Takoma Park, DC. Evelyn Hockstein/The Washington Post/Getty Images ABC Health News – Mar 18, 2015, 1:54 PM ET - By LIZ NEPORENT – Cross-Posted at Just One More Pet (JOMP) and True Health Is True Wealth (THITW) A new bill introduced […]justonemorepet
- Hero Dog Saves Owner Clinically Dead for 30-Minutes March 12, 2015Life With Dogs: A woman named Joanna Mellor had her life saved after going into cardiac arrest and being clinically dead for half an hour when her dog barked until her boyfriend woke up and called for an ambulance. The UK woman was sleeping on January 2nd when she suffered a heart attack and stopped […]justonemorepet
- Good Dog: Small Dog, Big Heart February 26, 2015Illustration by John Cuneo by Wells Tower – June/July 2014 – Garden & Gun – Cross-Posted at Just One More Pet The nervous work of owning—and finally loving—a Chihuahua For many years, I thought that owners of small dogs harbored stunted souls. Parents of infant beauty queens. Weird bachelors with pet stairs by their beds. […]justonemorepet
- Dog Mourns The Heart-Breaking Loss Of His Brother January 31, 2015Brutus Cries for Brother Hank By Marion Algier – Just One More Pet The message… animals have feelings too. This shows one dog’s reaction to finding out his twin brother had passed during the night. Brutus, does not want to leave his brother Hanks side even after he’s passed away. Brutus stays close, and […]justonemorepet
- GoDaddy pulls ‘lost puppy’ Super Bowl ad after igniting firestorm on social media January 29, 2015Video: GoDaddy pulls hilarious, humorous or tasteless ‘lost puppy’ Super Bowl ad after igniting firestorm on social media -> You be the judge…justonemorepet
- In Memory of Rosie – Until We Meet Again on Rainbow Bridge January 19, 2015Rosie By Patricia D. Gillenwater Our sweet Rosie passed on to the Rainbow Bridge today after succumbing to the Big C. Rosie came into our lives in a serendipitous moment. She needed us and, after two losses of two wonderful rescue critters for extreme health issues, we needed Rosie. She was with us for nearly […]justonemorepet
- There’s Just One Thing That All Dogs Want To Know January 19, 2015By Harrison’s Natural Dog Training There’s just one thing that all dogs want to know, and they need you to answer it. Between raising the kids and making meals, working a shift, going to soccer games, swimming lessons, making time for your better half, going to the gym walking the dog..well.. the list could go […]justonemorepet
- Chicago-area dog flu cases climb to over 1,100, including six deaths April 16, 2015
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on Unusual Friends Nevada Law Would Mak… on Canada marijuana growers use w… Nevada Law Would Mak… on More Dogs (and Cats) Getting H… Nevada Law Would Mak… on Nevada Law Would Make ‘P… Nevada Law Would Mak… on Canada marijuana growers use w…
- Watcher of Weasels watcherofweasels.org/the-council-ha… via @WeaselWatcherThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 5 days ago
- Watcher of Weasels watcherofweasels.org/forum-should-f… via @WeaselWatcherThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 5 days ago
- RT @happydawgblawg: The shelter is super full and these shining diamonds are looking for a home to c...: The shelter is super full... http:…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 week ago
- RT @BraveConWarrior: Comedian Who Said Vile Things About Sarah Palin ➠ STUNNED When He Meets Her And She Does This bit.ly/1FZgAEu h…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 week ago
- RT @GirlInEruption: Another Killary Flip-Flop -- til she figured out it wouldn't get her votes #UniteBlue #HillaryClinton #ClintonMaggots h…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 week ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!