Switzerland referendum on providing lawyers for animals
A nationwide referendum is taking place in Switzerland on a proposal to give animals the constitutional right to be represented in court.
Animal rights groups say appointing state-funded animal lawyers would ensure animal welfare laws are upheld, and help prevent cases of cruelty.
Opponents say Switzerland does not need more legislation regarding animal protection.
The Swiss government has recommended that voters reject the idea.
There is already one animal lawyer in Switzerland.
Zurich has made legal representation for animals in cruelty cases compulsory since 1992.
The current incumbent is Antoine Goetschel. He has gone to court on behalf dogs, cats, cows, sheep, and even a fish.
He believes speaking up for those who cannot speak for themselves is the essence of justice.
“For me the animals are one of the weakest parts in society and they need to be better protected.
“So, it’s kind of a fight for a minority that needs to be supported. And to make legislation more respectful towards humans and animals as a whole.”
But Switzerland has very strict animal welfare laws, and the Swiss government, conscious that the taxpayer would have to pay the fees for a nationwide system of animal lawyers, has recommended voters reject the idea.
And there is opposition from Switzerland’s powerful farming lobby.
Struggling with reduced subsidies and falling milk prices, Swiss farmers say animal lawyers would simply add another layer of bureaucracy to a system already overburdened with animal protection legislation.
By Imogen Foulkes – BBC News
AFP – Animal welfare organizations described a recent Halloween-costume contest for dogs as cruel. If this dog had been Swiss, it might have had a lawyer.
AP – ANTOINE GOETSCHEL
Although he runs a legal practice in Zurich focused on property and family law, Antoine Goetschel has been interested in animal-rights law for 20 years. Goetschel helped launch the Foundation for the Animal in Law and start its library of information on the subject. He has written several books on the subject and served on government panels drafting animal-welfare legislation. Since 2007, he has been the “animal advocate” for the canton of Zurich, handling between 150 and 200 related cases a year.
Germany’s SPIEGEL ONLINE spoke with Goetschel about about the job, the vote’s chances of success and why eco-friendly Switzerland needs even more animal-protection laws:
SPIEGEL ONLINE: How are you feeling about the referendum? Do you think it will succeed?
Antoine Goetschel: There is a Lou Reed lyric that talks about the “power of positive drinking.” But, seriously, I do feel positive. Even some of the opponents of the referendum say they think it will be positive. Other opponents have been mingling fact with fiction and coming up with some disturbing arguments against it. But the mass media have been reporting on this a lot, so I’m confident that the Swiss population will confirm its sympathy toward animals with a “yes.”
SPIEGEL ONLINE: What will happen if they do?
Goetschel: First, any legislation will have to be debated by the Swiss government. But if that goes ahead, then, if I were the government, I would think about creating some sort of academy or educational forum for animal-welfare attorneys. One needs skills that are not necessarily learned at law school.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Such as?
Goetschel: It’s not enough to just be an attorney and love animals. You can easily lose your credibility if you over-identify with the animal. In my experience, an animal-rights lawyer needs a warm heart and a cool head. They need experience not only in animal-welfare law, but also in criminal law. They need to know whether this witness is credible or whether that argument will be enough to convince a judge, and so on. They must be skilled at mediation and have the confidence of animal-welfare organizations. They must also know how to speak to farmers and dog breeders. And journalists — because, in this position, you will come under a lot of public pressure.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: What will happen if the referendum fails?
Goetschel: Let’s not focus on that. But, in the very unlikely case that the Swiss population is puzzled (by this referendum), then I think that in the cantons where people did vote “yes,” the government administrations will still take it seriously. If the state voted yes, then the canton must appoint animal-welfare attorneys. Otherwise, the state government would be working against voters who acted in good faith. If you look at the data base we have compiled of all the animal welfare cases in Switzerland, you can see that in Zurich, for example, there are 190 cases a year, whereas in other states there is only one case a year. Some states take this work more seriously than others.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: What else have you been doing to support the campaign to appoint animal-welfare attorneys?
Goetschel: I’m not a member of the initiating body. I’m just a person who knows a lot of the history and who knows all the arguments. So I can explain the job.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Switzerland already has some of the most far-reaching animal-welfare laws in the world. Since 2008, it has been illegal to keep animals that usually live in groups — such as goldfish, canaries or guinea pigs — alone, dog owners have to take a training course and, beginning in 2013, horses will not be able to be tied up in their stalls. The constitution even protects the “dignity” of plant life, and a Swiss ethics panel has said that the “decapitation of wildflowers at the roadside without rational reason” is a bad thing. So why do you need more laws — or lawyers — in this area?
Goetschel: No, I don’t want to see more lawyers. And we’re not talking about creating new laws, either. From my point of view, I would be happy with one or two new terms being added to the existing legislation so as to ensure that existing animal-welfare laws are adhered to. Since there is a lack of interest in them in many places in Switzerland and Germany, they are not taken seriously. The changes would acknowledge the importance of human-animal relationships and ensure that the existing law in regard to them is properly applied. Since there has been an animal-welfare attorney here in Zurich for the past 18 years, everyone involved — the police, local veterinarians and animal-welfare organizations — takes these things more seriously. I consider myself a small cog in a big machine. But, without that small cog, there is a gap between the administrative part of animal-welfare organizations and (law-enforcement organizations). So the goal is to make sure that the state starts doing animal-welfare work properly and to make animal-welfare cases a normal thing.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: How would you respond to the criticism that you just want to create more work for yourself and other lawyers?
Goetschel: Actually it’s a very poorly paid line of work. I don’t just do animal welfare work; I also practice regular law. As an animal-welfare attorney, I get about 200 francs an hour (€137/$186). For other work, I get between 350 and 400 francs an hour. If I didn’t do this, I could start to make more money as an attorney.
Interview conducted by Cathrin Schaer
Posted: Just One More Pet
March 7, 2010 - Posted by justonemorepet | Animal or Pet Related Stories, Animal Rights And Awareness, animals, Just One More Pet, Pets, Political Change, Unusual Stories | Animal Advocate, animal protection, animal rights lawyer, animal-rights laws, Antoine Goetschel, Cass Sunstein, farming lobby, layers for animals, strict animal welfare laws, Switzerland
No comments yet.
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies Puppy puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Rare baby camel makes his debut at a zoo in Hungary April 16, 2014Yahoo: Budapest (AFP) – A baby camel of the endangered wild Bactrian or Camelus bactrianus ferus species made a first appearance at Budapest Zoo on Tuesday, following its birth last week. Baby Ilias, a male, was born on April 9, to its eight-year-old mother, Iris, whose maternal line has lived at the zoo for several […]justonemorepet
- Does your dog see Ghosts? I think My Aspen did… April 15, 2014No Dog About It Blog: I was listening to a local radio station the other morning when the radio host shared a freaky story with all his listeners. It reminded me of my late dog Aspen. The radio host shared that he had been at home napping with his dog when the dog moved and […]justonemorepet
- Flying Squirrels April 13, 2014Flying squirrels, scientifically known as Pteromyini or Petauristini, are a tribe of 44 species of squirrels. The flying squirrel is not capable of powered flight like birds or bats; instead, they glide between trees. They are capable of obtaining lift within the course of these flights, with flights recorded to 90 meters. The direction and […]justonemorepet
- A Pet’s Plea April 8, 2014If it should be that I grow frail and weak And pain should keep me from my sleep Then you muct do what must be done For this, the last battle, can’t be won. You will be sad- I understand Don’t let your grief then stay your hand For this day, more than all the […]justonemorepet
- Gentle Giant… Befriends Some Cuddly Chicks April 1, 2014The unlikely friendship between a golden retriever and flock of fluffy chicks is revealed in a series of close-up photos By Sadie Whitelocks - MailOnline: PUBLISHED: 14:48 EST, 31 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:05 EST, 31 March 2014 – Los Angeles-based photographer Candice Sedighan, 21, decided to demonstrate just how ‘gentle’ her pet dog Champ […]justonemorepet
- Voiceless Friends… Stop the Dog Meat Trade April 1, 2014Voiceless Friends: Animal Equality and Last Chance for Animals have undertaken an intensive investigation into slaughterhouses and the dog meat markets in the Leizhou peninsula and the rest of the province of Guangdong in China. Dogs raised for the meat markets are often taken from the street or stolen from families. These animals are kept […]justonemorepet
- Todd Palin Excited to Bring Iditarod to TV March 31, 2014Todd Palin Hosts Iditarod Unleashed Palin-Cruz 2016: Iditarod Unleashed got Todd Palin to host: Sportsman Channel debuted its Iditarod Unleashed series on Tuesday March 25, 2014, getting a little help from none other than Iron Dog champ Todd Palin. Todd, the husband of former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin, is ho […]justonemorepet
- Comfort Dogs Bring Hope to Mudslide Rescue Workers Amid the Rubble March 29, 2014What’s This? Sumi, a 6-year-old Akita, is a comfort dog; that spent time at the Oso Fire Department Thursday with rescue workers following last weekend’s deadly mudslide. Image: Kurt Wagner – Mashable By Kurt Wagner/Mashable OSO, Wash. — The idea of dog as man’s best friend took on a whole new meaning in the small […]justonemorepet
- California man who drugged and raped dog has been sentenced to prison March 28, 2014Examiner: According to Wednesday’s Los Angeles Times, a 22-year-old San Pedro, Calif., man who sexually assaulted a family’s dog, has been sentenced to prison time. On Tuesday, Christopher Caceres, who was charged for repeated sexual attacks on a neighbor’s pet Akita, pleaded guilty to charges of animal cruelty and first-degree burglary. Caceres’ act of best […]justonemorepet
- Judge decides Mickey the pit bull will live, but there are restrictions March 26, 2014Saved… Fairness by The Associated Press and azfamily.com - See Video report by Erika Flores - Posted on March 25, 2014 at 1:36 PM - Updated today at 6:46 PM PHOENIX — A judge has decided that a pit bull that mauled a 4-year-old boy last month in Phoenix should not be euthanized. Municipal Court […]justonemorepet
- Rare baby camel makes his debut at a zoo in Hungary April 16, 2014
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on Judge decides Mickey the pit b… The Wrap at Ask Mari… on Tribute to Movie Dogs –… The Wrap at Ask Mari… on Every Dog Has Its Data The Wrap at Ask Mari… on One dog changes the lives of t… The Wrap at Ask Mari… on Dogs Lovin the Water
- RT @NBCLA: A 3-year-old boy who had gone missing was found safe inside an arcade claw machine 4.nbcla.com/1l1GuQT http://t.co/mxjF0K6L48There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 17 hours ago
- RT @steve0423: The new America... Where illegal cattle are detained and ILLEGALS ALIENS are allowed to roam free!! #tcot http://t.co/voUV4H…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 17 hours ago
- Watcher’s Council Nominations – Yippee-Ki-Yay Edition wp.me/p1dXJI-5KYThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 17 hours ago
- RT @commonpatriot: via @weaselzippers: Report: Prince Charles Sided With Iran After They Issued Death Fatwa On Salman Rushdie… http://t.co/…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 18 hours ago
- Palin to Return to Heals On, Gloves Off Rally… SHEpac wp.me/p1dXJI-5KNThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 18 hours ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!