Marcus Luttrell, a highly decorated Navy Seal and author of “Lone Survivor,” is still hurting three years after the murder of his beloved Yellow Labrador, DASY, by a group of thugs in Texas.
Today, Luttrell has received some measure of closure, as two of the perpetrators who shot and killed his beloved companion have been sentenced to prison time.
Luttrell, a true American hero who was the lone survivor from his fire team after an insurgent attack in Afghanistan, took the stand Thursday in the “cruelty to non-livestock animals trial” of Alfonso Hernandez, one of the two accused in the case.
Hernandez was found guilty of a state felony by a Walker County jury.
Another suspect, Michael Edmonds, pleaded guilty to the same state charge two days prior and admitted he was the one who fired the shot that killed DASY.
The night of the killing in April of 2009, Luttrell said he “heard a single gunshot, grabbed his pistol and ran next door to his mother’s residence to check on her. He then made his way down to the roadway, crawled underneath a fence and saw DASY had been shot.”
“I saw my dog in a ditch and two men standing outside the car,” Luttrell said, with his new service dog by his side on the stand. “I could hear them laughing.”
Law enforcement officers eventually caught up to the car with Luttrell’s help.
“I wanted to take a shot at the driver, but I figured if I missed and shot out the back window, I would not be able to catch them,” he added.
DASY given to Luttrell by friends to help him cope with the emotional and physical injuries he sustained while fighting in both the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters as a Navy Seal. She was by his side in Texas for four years.
Her name is an acronym of the initials of Luttrell’s team members who were killed in the firefight he described in “Lone Survivor.”
Edmonds and Hernandez, who was charged as an accomplice, will have to wait for a pre-sentence investigation to be conducted before a punishment is handed down, which is expected to take place in February, according to the Huntsville Item.
The charges carry a maximum sentence of up to two years in a state facility and a $10,000 fine.
Here is a clip from 2009 in which Glenn Beck interviews Luttrell, who tells the story of his beloved canine companion’s murder, including his gut-wrenching statement that “I consider that dog like a daughter to me:”
Uploaded by che10967 on Apr 7, 2009
On April 5, 2009, four teenage males approached Luttrell’s property and fatally wounded his dog, Dasy, with a .357 Magnum revolver at approximately 1 A.M. Each letter of the name "Dasy" represents one of the fallen members of his team. She was given to him in recovery to help him through rehabilitation. Luttrell proceeded to track the individuals through four counties in his truck until Texas Rangers apprehended the individuals. Upon arrest, the suspects verbally threatened Luttrell’s life and taunted him. Alfonso Hernandez was arrested on-scene and charged with animal cruelty whilst Michael Edmonds has not yet been charged.
Today on Glenn Becks show, he had former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell on to talk about what happened to him last week. You see it seems some dumb-ass punks were driving the Texas countryside, summarily executing dogs.
Marcus chased these punks over four counties, and he nearly shot the driver. Finally the Rangers caught up with these punks in Huntsville, TX and the idiots in handcuffs were laughing about it. They said they would also kill Marcus. Do these douchebags not know about Marcus?
Dickhead Alfonso Hernandez was charged with Cruelty to Animals and is facing up to two years in prison, and dickhead #2, Michael Edmonds, is currently on the run.
Source: The Blaze
- What impresses me even more about this American hero is that he didn’t shoot them. He is a better man than I am for having the ability to restrain himself & not shoot them. Just an amazing man. He is the true definition of a man too. I wish him & his wife all the happiness they deserve.
- As another dog lover, that story of Marcus’s chase of those dog killers was beyond believe, when Glenn told it and played the 911 tapes etc.
I wonder why it took so long to get justice for Dasy.
It’s not like there was any question of what they had done. It’s too bad Marcus didn’t catch them before the law got them stopped. I’m sure he would have provided a little justice of his own, and very well deserved.
This article does not give the actual sentence, too bad. It seems killing dogs is going out of fashion since Vick was sent away, but now he’s an adored hero for throwing a football around for millions each year. I will never forget or forgive Vick.
- These Bastards killed one of his friends, a family member of a man who served to keep us free… who were willing to give it all. The dog herself served in her own way and these leaches, who only take, killed her.
- Whatever sentence they got was not enough… It never is. Remember the gal who cooked her friend’s kitten alive? She face a 10-year Sentence. She only got 1-year. These people virtually always go on to be serial abusers of spouses, children, other pets and animals and to some degree most people they encounter.
Tails of Love – Book
Lone Survivor – Book
December 4, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal or Pet Related Stories, Dogs, Dogs, Just One More Pet, Man's Best Friend, NO KILL NATION, Pets, Political Change, Success Stories, Toughen Animal Abuse Laws and Sentences, We Are All God's Creatures, Working and Military Dogs and Related | animal killers, cruelty, cruelty to animals, Glenn Beck, Labs, Marcus Luttrell, military pets, Navy Seal, No Kill Concept, pet killers, Texas, troops and pets, yellow labrador | 11 Comments
Retired disabled military dog Rocky dies if not adopted; UPDATE: Rocky is saved!
Photo: Gloria Hillard/NPR
Pets for Patriots is a small charity, but we were able to mobilize 42,393 people* to save Rocky, a three-tour Iraq war canine veteran (*as of 8:15pm ET 8/18/11).
Your donations are needed to save more pets like Rocky: dogs and cats who will never become an overnight internet sensation or have major news media vying to tell their tale. These “last chance” pets – adult and other at-risk shelter dogs and cats – face near-certain death if not adopted. We connect them to veterans and service members who need a new pet friend, arrange access to reduced cost veterinary care and provide direct financial support towards the purchase of pet food and other basics. Your tax-deductible gift is necessary to help us save the next Rocky and, in so doing, transform the life of the veteran who chose to Be A Pet’s HeroTM.
UPDATE 8/18/11 9:25 AM ET: ROCKY IS SAVED!! We have been informed that Rocky will be adopted. Please DO NOT CALL Camp Pendleton, Lackland AFB or Pets for Patriots regarding his case; we are all overloaded with a deluge of inquiries about his plight. THANK YOU to all who have answered Rocky’s call and helped to assure his final years will be spent with a loving family.
Rocky is a retired military dog who will be put down on August 24 if he’s not adopted. He served three tours in Iraq and desperately needs a loving home to enjoy his final years. Pets for Patriots is responding to a request to help create awareness of this veteran’s plight. We have spoken to authorities at Camp Pendleton in San Diego and confirmed this story.
Rocky currently lives at Camp Pendleton, his home base since entering the Marine Corps in 2004. He served three tours in Iraq between 2004 and 2007 as a patrol and explosives dog, and returned to the states. We had previously noted that his last handler was killed in theater, but have since been advised that is not the case. However, since returning to the U.S., he has not had a steady handler, but has continued to serve on base until March of this year. By that time, a degenerative condition rendered him unable to work and he was retired. Typically an ex-military K9 will be adopted by his handler, but Rocky has no handler to call his own.
The base kennels are not suitable to provide the type of ongoing care and attention that Rocky needs and deserves. And without an individual or family to adopt him, he will be put down. He was recently featured in an article about military dogs enjoying a bright future after service, but that’s not the case for him.
Because Rocky is a retired patrol dog, military protocol does not permit him to be surrendered to a shelter.
Like most military working dogs, Rocky is independent, but he has a sweet temperament and enjoys relaxing in the sun. As a result of his disability, he uses a canine wheelchair and needs assistance to do “his business.” He would do best in a family that can devote a lot of time to him, and that has no small children or other animals. As with many military canines, Rocky shows slight dog aggression. More than anything, Rocky needs someone who honors his service, and who will love and accept him.
Rocky is nine years, nine months old with these known medical conditions:
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia/Enlarged prostate
Mild hip dysplasia L coxofemoral joint, grade I
Bilateral coxofemoral DJD (mild)
Bilateral neurologic defecits rear legs – degenerative myelopathy
P.S.: Our thanks to Military.com for sharing Rocky’s story in a hot rush!
P.P.S.: We welcome your comments, but if you use profanity or threaten another user you will be removed and blocked.
Source: Pets for Patriots
August 24, 2011 Posted by justonemorepet | Adopt Just One More Pet, Dogs, Just One More Pet, Man's Best Friend, Pets, Stop Animal Cruelty, Stop Euthenization, Success Stories, Working and Military Dogs and Related | Camp Pendleton, K9 Vets, military canines, military dogs, military pets, military working dogs are Veterans too | 15 Comments
Baghdad, Iraq (June 30th, 2010)
Iraq’s chief veterinarian has told news agencies that authorities intend to kill up to 1 million stray dogs in Baghdad alone.
During the rule of Saddam Hussein, Iraq’s authorities sent veterinary teams out to kill stray dogs on a nightly basis. Since the fall of his regime, for several years the lack of security and threat of violence has prevented these teams from patrolling Iraq’s capital Baghdad. During this time, the stray dog population has exploded to the point where almost 1 million stray dogs are thought to be living in the capital alone – a population density that is the equivalent to Washington, D.C., having almost 100,000 stray dogs roaming the streets. Locals are blaming the dogs for an increase in litter and animal waste around the capital’s streets, as well as increase in disease among humans and domestic animals.
Now, as violence on the streets subsides, authorities have begun trying to tackle the over-population problem again. Twenty 4-person teams are now in action every night, consisting of 2 vets and 2 armed marksmen. As dogs are shot or poisoned, they are loaded into tractor trailers in their masses and transported to Baghdad’s refuse tip. This “public service” is costing the mayor’s office 35 million Iraqi dinars ($30,000). The process of reducing the stray dog population to a “manageable” level is expected to take approximately a year.
“We could consider this the biggest campaign of dog execution ever,” Baghdad chief veterinarian Mohammed al-Hilly told Reuters. He said the campaign had so far killed 42,000 dogs since it started two months ago – of which more than half were poisoned. “This can be considered a victory,” he continued.
The local authorities are not the only organization attempting to tackle the stray dog population. “Operation Baghdad Pups” is a program run by the SPCA International, in which U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan befriend local animals as a way to help cope with the emotional hardships they endure every day while deployed in a war zone. The Operation Baghdad Pups program provides veterinary care and coordinates complicated logistics and transportation requirements in order to reunite these beloved pets with their service men and women back in the U.S.
This news story is independently sourced and PetPeoplesPlace.com does not specifically endorse products or services offered by any company referenced in this article, or benefit from any association with any companies referenced. This news story is available to members for reprint – Reprint This Article.
July 2, 2010 Posted by justonemorepet | animals, Just One More Pet, Pets, Political Change, Stop Animal Cruelty, Stop Euthenization, Unusual Stories, We Are All God's Creatures | Baghdad, dogs, dogs to be culled, Iraq, military dogs, military pets, pets of servicemen, stray dogs | 10 Comments
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies Puppy puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Pit Bull Hailed as Hero for Alerting Deaf Boy to Fire With a Lick July 17, 2014AP Photo: Indianapolis Fire Department, Rita Reith This photo provided by the Indianapolis Fire Department shows Ace, a pit bull, resting outside the home of Lindsay and James Bernard of Indianapolis after the home caught fire on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A two-year old male pit bull named Ace is being hailed […]justonemorepet
- Off to the Races… Weiner Dog Races That Is July 13, 2014Wiener Dog Races, Kalispell, MT There’s Nothing Like Wiener Dog Races! Oktoberfest Wiener Dog Races.mpg Barrel Racing Wiener Dog Jerry needs no help playing with his ball. Sassy Dachshund Puppy Cute Dachshund montage Daisy – Teckel à poil long – HD Dachshund Water Race Wake Up Mommy!! I Wants Breakfast!! Teckel Superstar! – Dackel, kleiner […]justonemorepet
- Never Punish Your Pet for This Accident! July 13, 2014Video: Urinary Incontinence in Dogs and Cats By Dr. Karen Becker – HuffPo Please note this article addresses involuntary passage of urine only, and isn’t intended to cover other urination-related problems like too-frequent urination or behavioral-related problems like submissive urination. Involuntary Passage of Urine Involuntary passage of urine normally oc […]justonemorepet
- Keeping Your Pets Safe on the 4th of July July 3, 2014Family and friends of G.R. Gordon-Ross watch his private fireworks show at the Youth Sports Complex in Lawrence, Kan., Friday, June 28, 2013. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner) Mercury News – Originally posted on July 02, 2013: The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. Hot dogs, potato salad and, of course, fireworks. But Independence […]justonemorepet
- Making Your Own Dog Biscuits July 2, 2014For those of you who have always been curious as to how to make dog treats at home for your pet here is a basic recipe to get you started. With all the dog food & treat recalls that have caused severe conditions and even death; it is nice to know what is going into […]justonemorepet
- Dog Meat in Chinese Restaurants July 1, 2014Think about this the next time you go out for Chinese dinner in the U.S. or anywhere else. Are you really sure what you are eating? And stop supporting a country, a society, people who think this is okay. Stop buying Chinese products until this changes. China has a horrific record on both human rights […]justonemorepet
- Safe Haven for Pets… For Animals June 27, 2014One of my dreams for quite some time has been to purchase land (in the US) and set up a temporary (and forever for some) haven for pets/animals. I would love to hire some computer wiz-kids to set up a national registry to connect all the shelters, rescues, etc. around the country so people looking […]justonemorepet
- Under Obama Over 1,200 Military Dogs Put Down by Regime June 23, 2014Dogs of War Remembered Moonbattery: Eating dogs was bad enough. Killing over 1,200 faithful military dogs who were protecting American troops in Afghanistan is worse: The heroic service dogs were euthanized because they were deemed too “dangerous” for civilian adoption or jobs with law enforcement agencies, as well as for medical reasons according to U.S. [ […]justonemorepet
- Kids with autism connect, cuddle with future service dogs: ‘I love them’ June 16, 2014LionPaws via Facebook Today – Pets By LauraT Coffey – Originally Posted on June 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM ET - Cross Posted at True Health Is True Wealth A student named Max, front, and other children snuggle and play with puppies at the Lionheart School in Alpharetta, Georgia. The puppies will go on to […]justonemorepet
- Pet Dads With Their Furkids June 16, 2014UCLA Shutterbug – Wyoming Outing Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images for Tribeca Film Festival UCLA Schutterbug - Kisses for Schatze Reddit/orangefever - Just Wrestling UCLA Shutterbug - Having a PowWow UCLA Shutterbug - Whole Family is Asleep… Pups 7-Weeks Old Happy Father’s Day 2014 Technorati Tags: Father’s Day,Holdiays,Holidays With Pets,Pet Fun,Pet Parent […]justonemorepet
- Pit Bull Hailed as Hero for Alerting Deaf Boy to Fire With a Lick July 17, 2014
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
- Watcher of Weasels » Watcher’s Council Nominations – Standing With Israel Edition watcherofweasels.org/watchers-counc… via @WeaselWatcherThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 11 hours ago
- RT @terresamonroe: Joaquín Castro: Rick Perry ‘Militarizing’ Border joemiller.us/2014/07/joaqui… #g8mThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 21 hours ago
- RT @URGENTPODR: **DARLING KITTEN DUO OF DELIGHT NEEDS A LOVING CAT PARENT - PLEASE GRANT PANDA & LAYLA A DEATH ROW PARDON!!!***... http://t…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 21 hours ago
- RT @terresamonroe: Hamas Using Ambulances To Shield Terrorists (Video) truthrevolt.org/israel-revolt/… #g8mThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 21 hours ago
- Matos: What in the Heck is Wrong With the “D” Word? JUST Get Over It Already. It’s Exasperating. Readers, Chime In! wp.me/p1dXJI-9q2There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 21 hours ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!