Groundhog Day 2013
Early spring? The groundhog says…
Alex Wong / Getty Images
By Scott Stump, MSN TODAY Animal Tracks contributor
Let the spring fever commence!
Punxsutawney Phil crawled out early Saturday morning and did not see his shadow, signaling it will be an early spring.
"Spring, bring it on," said TODAY’s Erica Hill.
"The groundhog has proved me wrong once again," said TODAY’s Dylan Dreyer, who guessed the Phil would see his shadow. "He messes me up."
Anthony Quintano / NBC News
This year is the 127th Groundhog Day celebration, which is held at Gobbler’s Knob in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
Coming into this year, Phil had seen his shadow 100 times and had not seen it only 16 times since 1886, according to Punxsutawney Groundhog Club’s Inner Circle. There are no records for the missing 10 years. The 15 members of the inner circle, clad in tophats and tuxedos, decide in advance whether to announce Phil has seen his shadow or not, even though the groundhog does the symbolic duty.
In Punxsutawney, which is about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, the groundhog annual makes his prediction on a hill known as Gobbler’s Knob. The event annually attracts more than 15,000 people and brought as many as 30,000 in the wake of the 1993 release of the Bill Murray classic movie "Groundhog Day,” according to the Inner Circle. There also are updates on Twitter and Facebook.
Alex Wong / Getty Images
According to local reports, about 35,000 people gathered to watch Phil’s annual forecast.
The celebration dates to the early Christians in Europe, particularly the Germans, who were some of the earliest settlers of Pennsylvania and believed the groundhog’s intelligence was such that if the sun came out on Feb. 2 it would be smart enough to go back underground for another six weeks of winter. The first written observance of the tradition came in 1886 after it had earlier been conducted privately in wooded areas outside town.
David Maxwell / EPA
Groundhog Day 2013: Staten Island Chuck predicts early spring for New York City
NY Daily News: Chuck did not see his shadow when he came out of his burrow at the Staten Island Zoo this morning
Joe Marino/for New York Daily News – Staten Island Chuck did not see his shadow this year.
The city is due for an early spring according to Staten Island Chuck, who did not see his shadow – or old rival Mayor Bloomberg – Saturday morning.
The local groundhog did not spot his shadow when he crawled out of his home in the Staten Island Zoo, which mirrored the prediction of his more acclaimed brethren, Punxsutawney Phil.
Joe Marino/for New York Daily News - City Council Speaker Christine Quinn wore special gloves made of Kevlar for 2013′s Groundhog Day festivities. The gloves made specially for the Mayor, who could not attend after being bitten last year.
Bloomberg was a noticeable no-show for the event. He famously was bitten by the rodent in 2009 and has repeatedly made his hatred of Chuck a running joke in the following years.
A mayoral spokesman noted that this was the fifth time out of his 12 years in office that Bloomberg did not attend the Groundhog Day event. No reason for his absence was provided.
Joe Marino/for New York Daily News - Staten Island Chuck coming out of his home at the Staten Island zoo.
His Hizzoner’s role was filled by City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who can have many more up-close-and-personal encounters with Chuck if she is successful in her own mayoral bid. Quinn also led the ceremony in 2008.
Bloomberg has largely backed Quinn but has not offered an official endorsement. It was not clear if the Groundhog’s Day ceremony was intended to be an official passing of the torch – or, passing of heavy-duty work gloves – from Bloomberg to Quinn.
Joe Marino/for New York Daily News - Crowds gathered on Feb. 2, 2013 at the Staten Island Zoo to await Staten Island Chuck’s prediction of how soon spring will come.
The Speaker led the cheers when Chuck delivered his forecast soon after sunrise.
A similar, though grander, spectacle also took place about 315 miles to the west when Punxsutawney Phil emerged from his home in Gobbler’s Knob before thousands of people chanting his name.
He "consulted" with tophat-wearing local leaders before decreeing that an early spring was on the horizon.
Those tired of the bone-chilling temperatures that have blanketed the Northeast should hope that his predictive powers have grown more accurate. Last year, he declared that six more weeks of winter were ahead – yet the stretch between January and July 2012 was the warmest on record, according to the National Weather Service.
The Groundhog Day ceremony has exploded in popularity since the release of the movie by the same name, Groundhog Day, which starred Bill Murray and came out 20 years ago this week. It is a great movie to own and make part of your yearly Groundhog Day tradition: Groundhog Day (15th Anniversary Special Edition) [Blu-ray]
February 3, 2013 - Posted by justonemorepet | animal behavior, Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, Holidays With Pets, If Animlas Could Talk..., Just One More Pet, Wild Animals | animal related holidays, Groundhog Day, groundhogs, holidays, New York, Pennsylvania, Punxsutawney Phil, Staten Island Zoo
4 Comments »
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies Puppy puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014Video: Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + Technorati Tags: Movie Dogs,Movies,Movie Animals,Dogs,Rin Tin Tin,Lassie,Benji,Asta,Toto,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Hero Dog Returns Home After Taking Bullet for Family March 6, 2014If Charlie had not been in the line of fire, bullets may have struck one of the family’s children, the dog’s owner says North Central Shelter Intervention Program via Facebook Charlie happily sits with her family on Monday, March 3, 2014, since undergoing surgery to have her leg amputated after heroically taking a bullet for […]justonemorepet
- Mr. Pepper – A Dachshund Escape March 4, 2014Too cute! Video: Mr. Pepper Technorati Tags: Dachshund,Puppies,Puppy,Cuteness,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Live: Iditarod (Sled Dog Race) 2014 from Anchorage Alaska is Underway March 2, 2014Iditarod 2014 is Underway… by Isabel Matos – A Time For Choosing The Iditarod 2014 Ceremonial Start started at 10 a.m. Alaska time today (March 1, 2014). It should end between the 9th and 21st of March. The Iditarod Sled Dog race will start from Willow as planned. Each team consists of 12 to 16 […]justonemorepet
- Arizona is Being Overrun by Packs of Vicious Wild Chihuahuas… Vicious? Really? February 27, 2014So what the heck is going on in Arizona? Vicious wild Chihuahuas? They are Chihuahuas for God sake… Why didn’t they notice this sooner? And as for Chihuahuas nipping people, even at kids… really? A big deal? Not so much in my book… And terrorizing neighborhoods? Again, really? A bit of a stretch I’d say, […]justonemorepet
- Pros & Cons of Neutering–Really? There are Cons? February 22, 2014Puppies rely on us to make informed decisions. Image Copr. Fernanda Cerioni/Flickr By Amy Shojai at Amy Shojai’s Bling, Bitches and Blood Yes, actually, there are and that may surprise you. It did me. After all, we’ve heard from animal welfare advocates for years preaching the gospel of spay/neuter. Heck, I preached this myself and […]justonemorepet
- Shovel Ready Jobs… February 22, 2014Amen!! Technorati Tags: Shovel Ready Jobs,Jobs,Signs,Truth,Comparisons,JOMP,Just One More Pet,Obamalandjustonemorepet
- US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy Saving Dogs of Sochi February 18, 2014One of the many dark tales coming out of Sochi is the revelation that Russian authorities have been executing stray dogs. US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy plans to do something about it by saving them. American Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy and Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska are doing their part to save the stray dogs in […]justonemorepet
- Logan’s Law passes big hurdle in attempt to create Michigan animal abusers registry February 11, 2014Logan, a husky owned by Matt Falk of Wales Township, died from complications of someone allegedly spraying acid in his face. / Gannett Michigan By Nicole Hayden – LSJ.com Gannett Michigan: Logan’s Law, a package of four bills designed to fight animal abuse passed through the Michigan House of Representatives Judiciary Committee on Thursday. “We […] […]justonemorepet
- BSL and Pit Bulls February 11, 2014What exactly is BSL? My Pit Bull Friend: BSL is an abbreviation for Breed Specific Legislation. Not only is this Legislation targeting specific breeds of dog, but dogs that appear to have characteristics of certain breeds. Your dogs may not even be close to what is on the ban list but may be affected negatively […]justonemorepet
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on BSL and Pit Bulls Welcome to the Sochi… on Crews Killing Thousands of Dog… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on ‘Until One Has Loved an… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Should You Adopt a Second… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Three Nuns Adopt the Senior Pi…
- CPAC 2014 – Day 2 Speeches wp.me/p1dXJI-5eW #CPAC2014There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 9 hours ago
- RT @ArcticFox2016: Liberal 'trolls' post list of conservative Facebook pages marked for takeover ow.ly/umZJ6 http://t.co/XuWqTcV…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 9 hours ago
- RT @SD_Wheeler: Now if this doesn't scare the shit out of you......... http://t.co/W54tisQ518There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 16 hours ago
- RT @gary4205: @MikeHersh Can I get some cookies then? Cummings' stunt was pure kabuki theater to distract from Obama's crimes against USA @…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 16 hours ago
- RT @AskMarion: Join Team Palin-Cruz 2016 palin-cruz.org #PallinCruz2016There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 16 hours ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!