136th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show (2012)
Visit the the Westminster Kennel Club and Events
A female Wirehaired Dachsund named “Cinders” (officially named “GCH Raydachs Playing With Fire V Gleishorbach SW”) has been named “Best of Group (Hound)” at the 136th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
The rest of the top performers in the Hound Group were, in second place, a female Petits Bassets Griffons Vendeen (“GCH Jodell Boogie Back To Texas”); in third place, a female Whippet (“Ch Starline’s Chanel”); and, in fourth place, a male Norwegian Elkhound (“GCH Vin-Melca’s The Norseman”).
Cinders is owned by Shirley Ray, Maria Sakoda and James Sakoda. He was bred by his owners as well as Jessica Smith.
Cinders after her Best of Breed win at the 2012 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. (Photo provided by Westminster Kennel Club.)
The Westminster Kennel Club website describes the Wirehaired Dachshund breed as follows:
The Dachshund, developed in Germany three centuries ago, is a perfect example of form following function. With his long, low body, prominent forechest and front legs designed for digging, the Dachshund is well equipped for going underground to hunt badger and other den-dwelling animals. A versatile hunter, he has the instincts and intelligence to excel in conformation, earthdog, obedience, agility and tracking events. The clever, affectionate Dachshund is an entertaining and devoted pet. The three Varieties – Longhaired, Smooth, and Wirehaired – compete separately. Within each variety the two sizes, miniature and standard, are shown together.
Cinders, who is almost 3 1/2, will compete in the Best of Show judging at approximately 10 PM EST tonight against the winners of the other Groups: Toy (“Malachy” the Pekingese), Non-Sporting (“Ian” the Dalmatian), Herding (“Cap”, the German Shepherd), Sporting (“Emily” the Irish Setter), Working (“Fifi” the Doberman Pinscher), and Terrier (still to be determined).
Read more about other categories at Canine Nation
Casting call for Best in Show II?
Martha Stewart has suffered some professional setbacks of late. But today was a moment of unvarnished triumph: Stewart’s chow-chow, Ghenghis Khan, took the Best in Breed ribbon at the Westminster Dog Show this morning. What makes the victory all the more sweet for Martha is that this isn’t the first fluffy puppy she’s named after a legendarily fearsome Mongolian warlord. Today’s victorious chow-chow replaced Ghengis Khan the First, who died in a 2009 explosion at a kennel club and training center for show dogs in the Poconos.
Ghengis II, though, is no pale imitation, and more than meets up to the famously exacting Stewart standards. We never knew until today that Martha was into show dogs, but we’re not surprised she’s doing it better than you are. As a delighted and proud Martha tweeted, Ghengis simply outclassed the competition: "Jan kolnik showed ghenghis. She knew he was the best and he proved it by winning." Dogs just look more festive with a nice blue ribbon, don’t they?
Update: Stewart’s dog also probably had the most expensive pre-show meal. Below, he and Stewart dining at the Plaza on Sunday. Note the excellent table manners — and Martha’s are okay, too. Even if Ghengis hadn’t taken the prize, he would have been the fanciest dog at the show.
AP Photo/Seth Wenig
The 136th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show had a surprise winner this year when a Pekingnese took the coveted Best in Show prize in New York.
Malachy, the four-year-old winner at this year’s Westminster show, made it to the final round at the 2011 show but ultimately lost to Hickory, the Scottish Deerhound. This year marks the first time since 1990 the breed took a victory lap at the nation’s top dog show prize.
“He doesn’t run. He has a dignified Pekingese gait,” handler David Fitzpatrick had told The Associated Press.
Reaction on the ground Tuesday night was that the Malachy has come close so many times that it was an “owed” win. Fitzpatrick, however, has had multiple winners.
This win marks Malachy’s 115th overall Best in Show title. On Westminster’s opening night he had been named best in the Toy group, which is considered the show’s most competitive category.
Judge Cindy Vogels selected the four-year-old Pekingnese amidst a packed crowd at Madison Square Garden, where he defeated a Dalmatian, German shepherd, Doberman pinscher, Irish setter, a Kerry blue terrier and wire-haired dachshund to win the silver bowl.
Although the winner at Westminster does not receive any prize money, the prestige of a win is priceless and will undoubtedly bring in plenty in breeding potential.
ABC News’ Carlos Boettcher contributed to this report. h/t to MJ
February 15, 2012 - Posted by justonemorepet | animal behavior, Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, Dogs, Dogs, Just One More Pet, Pets | Chow, Chow-Chow, dachshund, dog shows. Westminster Kennel Club, events, hounds, Pekingese, Wirehaired Dachshund
1 Comment »
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Be Their Voice Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies companion animals dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States irresponsible pet owners JOMP JustOneMorePet Just One More Pet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice Wild Animals
- Dog Befriends Boy with Down Syndrome December 8, 2013Animal Planet – h/t to Holy Cuteness: Little Hernán from Buenos Aires, who has Down Syndrome, doesn’t like to be touched. But Himalaya the Labrador is very patient but persistent and eventually manages to befriend the little boy… Video: Dog Befriends Boy with Down Syndromejustonemorepet
- Rescued Pit Bull Saves Adoptive Mom from Javelina Attack December 7, 2013LifeWithDogs: A pit bull whose life was saved when he was adopted in March returned the favor when he and his mom were attacked by an aggressive herd of boar-like javalinas. The dog, named JoJo, was badly slashed, but is expected to fully recover. Heidi Dietrich was walking her two-year-old pit bull JoJo in a […]justonemorepet
- Obama Admin Gives Green Energy Firms A Pass On Killing Bald Eagles December 7, 2013Whatever right? WeaselZippers Via CBS: The Obama administration said Friday it will allow some companies to kill or injure bald and golden eagles for up to 30 years without penalty, an effort to spur development and investment in green energy while balancing its environmental consequences. The change, requested by the wind energy industry, will provide […]justonemorepet
- Sledding Shelties December 6, 2013Video: Sledding Sheltiesjustonemorepet
- Hernias in Dogs December 6, 2013Definition of Hernias A hernia is an abnormal protrusion of part of the body through the structures that surround it. They can exist at birth or be acquired as a result of trauma and often are genetic. In most cases, affected animals have a weak spot, an unusual opening or some other abnormality in a […]justonemorepet
- Tippy the Fainting Squirrel Has Internet Dying To Find Diagnosis December 4, 2013Bing Video: Tippy the fainting squirrel HuffPo: This candid video above, titled "Tippy the Fainting Squirrel," has slowly become the talk of the Internet this week. The short clip with no information provided by poster Honor Via depicts a squirrel appearing to eat a nut while standing, only to suddenly freeze, tip over for a […]justonemorepet
- Meowsa! Do our pets go to Heaven? December 3, 2013WND: While millions of people grapple with questions about what really happens when they die, now a brand-new book is probing what might actually happen to people’s beloved pets. The title of the book asks the timeless question, “Do Our Pets Go to Heaven?” and features biblical analysis of the issue, along with amazing stories […]justonemorepet
- At the Dog Park: Red Alert Behavior Series: Tail Tucked Plus Risks to Small Dogs December 3, 2013Video: At the Dog Park: Red Alert Behavior Series: Tail Tucked Plus Risks to Small Dogs NoDogAboutIt: Over the holiday weekend, my dogs enjoyed daily visits to the dog park. They loved getting to walk in the woods every day and to meet up with some of their old friends and hang out. Daisy is […]justonemorepet
- Pip’s Monday Poem December 2, 2013 justonemorepet
- Elwood, Crowned World’s Ugliest Dog in 2007, Has Died December 1, 2013Elwood, the New Jersey canine that was crowned the world’s ugliest dog in 2007 and later became the topic of a children’s book preaching acceptance died. unexpectedly Thanksgiving morning at age. His owner, Karen Quigley, said the Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix died after having some heath issues in recent months but recently appeared to […]justonemorepet
- Dog Befriends Boy with Down Syndrome December 8, 2013
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
- RT @NewportVet: Support @HumaneSociety First Strike Program humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/ab… helping women, children & pets of domestic violenceThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 6 hours ago
- RNC Chairman Says Hillary 2016 Candidacy is Set & Female Presidency Will B Carrot wp.me/p1dXJI-4Oa @Reince @SarahPalingUSA #TeaPartyThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 6 hours ago
- RT @KLSouth: RT @ThePatriotGuard: #TeaParty Favorite To Challenge #Texas Sen. John Cornyn: bit.ly/1iRshEN #TCOT #TX #TexansThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 6 hours ago
- RT @Pudingtane: Well Islam is a combination of religion and political doctrine. The very thing illegal n usa @Dskoon152_part2 @S1776frdm @C…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 6 hours ago
- RT @BreitbartNews: Exclusive: Amnesty for Military Members' Illegal Relatives Full of Loopholes: A new report from the Center for... http:/…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 6 hours ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!
The Andreas04 Theme.