136th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show (2012)
Visit the the Westminster Kennel Club and Events
A female Wirehaired Dachsund named “Cinders” (officially named “GCH Raydachs Playing With Fire V Gleishorbach SW”) has been named “Best of Group (Hound)” at the 136th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
The rest of the top performers in the Hound Group were, in second place, a female Petits Bassets Griffons Vendeen (“GCH Jodell Boogie Back To Texas”); in third place, a female Whippet (“Ch Starline’s Chanel”); and, in fourth place, a male Norwegian Elkhound (“GCH Vin-Melca’s The Norseman”).
Cinders is owned by Shirley Ray, Maria Sakoda and James Sakoda. He was bred by his owners as well as Jessica Smith.
Cinders after her Best of Breed win at the 2012 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. (Photo provided by Westminster Kennel Club.)
The Westminster Kennel Club website describes the Wirehaired Dachshund breed as follows:
The Dachshund, developed in Germany three centuries ago, is a perfect example of form following function. With his long, low body, prominent forechest and front legs designed for digging, the Dachshund is well equipped for going underground to hunt badger and other den-dwelling animals. A versatile hunter, he has the instincts and intelligence to excel in conformation, earthdog, obedience, agility and tracking events. The clever, affectionate Dachshund is an entertaining and devoted pet. The three Varieties – Longhaired, Smooth, and Wirehaired – compete separately. Within each variety the two sizes, miniature and standard, are shown together.
Cinders, who is almost 3 1/2, will compete in the Best of Show judging at approximately 10 PM EST tonight against the winners of the other Groups: Toy (“Malachy” the Pekingese), Non-Sporting (“Ian” the Dalmatian), Herding (“Cap”, the German Shepherd), Sporting (“Emily” the Irish Setter), Working (“Fifi” the Doberman Pinscher), and Terrier (still to be determined).
Read more about other categories at Canine Nation
Casting call for Best in Show II?
Martha Stewart has suffered some professional setbacks of late. But today was a moment of unvarnished triumph: Stewart’s chow-chow, Ghenghis Khan, took the Best in Breed ribbon at the Westminster Dog Show this morning. What makes the victory all the more sweet for Martha is that this isn’t the first fluffy puppy she’s named after a legendarily fearsome Mongolian warlord. Today’s victorious chow-chow replaced Ghengis Khan the First, who died in a 2009 explosion at a kennel club and training center for show dogs in the Poconos.
Ghengis II, though, is no pale imitation, and more than meets up to the famously exacting Stewart standards. We never knew until today that Martha was into show dogs, but we’re not surprised she’s doing it better than you are. As a delighted and proud Martha tweeted, Ghengis simply outclassed the competition: "Jan kolnik showed ghenghis. She knew he was the best and he proved it by winning." Dogs just look more festive with a nice blue ribbon, don’t they?
Update: Stewart’s dog also probably had the most expensive pre-show meal. Below, he and Stewart dining at the Plaza on Sunday. Note the excellent table manners — and Martha’s are okay, too. Even if Ghengis hadn’t taken the prize, he would have been the fanciest dog at the show.
AP Photo/Seth Wenig
The 136th annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show had a surprise winner this year when a Pekingnese took the coveted Best in Show prize in New York.
Malachy, the four-year-old winner at this year’s Westminster show, made it to the final round at the 2011 show but ultimately lost to Hickory, the Scottish Deerhound. This year marks the first time since 1990 the breed took a victory lap at the nation’s top dog show prize.
“He doesn’t run. He has a dignified Pekingese gait,” handler David Fitzpatrick had told The Associated Press.
Reaction on the ground Tuesday night was that the Malachy has come close so many times that it was an “owed” win. Fitzpatrick, however, has had multiple winners.
This win marks Malachy’s 115th overall Best in Show title. On Westminster’s opening night he had been named best in the Toy group, which is considered the show’s most competitive category.
Judge Cindy Vogels selected the four-year-old Pekingnese amidst a packed crowd at Madison Square Garden, where he defeated a Dalmatian, German shepherd, Doberman pinscher, Irish setter, a Kerry blue terrier and wire-haired dachshund to win the silver bowl.
Although the winner at Westminster does not receive any prize money, the prestige of a win is priceless and will undoubtedly bring in plenty in breeding potential.
ABC News’ Carlos Boettcher contributed to this report. h/t to MJ
February 15, 2012 - Posted by justonemorepet | animal behavior, Animal or Pet Related Stories, animals, Dogs, Dogs, Just One More Pet, Pets | Chow, Chow-Chow, dachshund, dog shows. Westminster Kennel Club, events, hounds, Pekingese, Wirehaired Dachshund
1 Comment »
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies Puppy puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014Video: Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + Technorati Tags: Movie Dogs,Movies,Movie Animals,Dogs,Rin Tin Tin,Lassie,Benji,Asta,Toto,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Hero Dog Returns Home After Taking Bullet for Family March 6, 2014If Charlie had not been in the line of fire, bullets may have struck one of the family’s children, the dog’s owner says North Central Shelter Intervention Program via Facebook Charlie happily sits with her family on Monday, March 3, 2014, since undergoing surgery to have her leg amputated after heroically taking a bullet for […]justonemorepet
- Mr. Pepper – A Dachshund Escape March 4, 2014Too cute! Video: Mr. Pepper Technorati Tags: Dachshund,Puppies,Puppy,Cuteness,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Live: Iditarod (Sled Dog Race) 2014 from Anchorage Alaska is Underway March 2, 2014Iditarod 2014 is Underway… by Isabel Matos – A Time For Choosing The Iditarod 2014 Ceremonial Start started at 10 a.m. Alaska time today (March 1, 2014). It should end between the 9th and 21st of March. The Iditarod Sled Dog race will start from Willow as planned. Each team consists of 12 to 16 […]justonemorepet
- Arizona is Being Overrun by Packs of Vicious Wild Chihuahuas… Vicious? Really? February 27, 2014So what the heck is going on in Arizona? Vicious wild Chihuahuas? They are Chihuahuas for God sake… Why didn’t they notice this sooner? And as for Chihuahuas nipping people, even at kids… really? A big deal? Not so much in my book… And terrorizing neighborhoods? Again, really? A bit of a stretch I’d say, […]justonemorepet
- Pros & Cons of Neutering–Really? There are Cons? February 22, 2014Puppies rely on us to make informed decisions. Image Copr. Fernanda Cerioni/Flickr By Amy Shojai at Amy Shojai’s Bling, Bitches and Blood Yes, actually, there are and that may surprise you. It did me. After all, we’ve heard from animal welfare advocates for years preaching the gospel of spay/neuter. Heck, I preached this myself and […]justonemorepet
- Shovel Ready Jobs… February 22, 2014Amen!! Technorati Tags: Shovel Ready Jobs,Jobs,Signs,Truth,Comparisons,JOMP,Just One More Pet,Obamalandjustonemorepet
- US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy Saving Dogs of Sochi February 18, 2014One of the many dark tales coming out of Sochi is the revelation that Russian authorities have been executing stray dogs. US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy plans to do something about it by saving them. American Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy and Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska are doing their part to save the stray dogs in […]justonemorepet
- Logan’s Law passes big hurdle in attempt to create Michigan animal abusers registry February 11, 2014Logan, a husky owned by Matt Falk of Wales Township, died from complications of someone allegedly spraying acid in his face. / Gannett Michigan By Nicole Hayden – LSJ.com Gannett Michigan: Logan’s Law, a package of four bills designed to fight animal abuse passed through the Michigan House of Representatives Judiciary Committee on Thursday. “We […] […]justonemorepet
- BSL and Pit Bulls February 11, 2014What exactly is BSL? My Pit Bull Friend: BSL is an abbreviation for Breed Specific Legislation. Not only is this Legislation targeting specific breeds of dog, but dogs that appear to have characteristics of certain breeds. Your dogs may not even be close to what is on the ban list but may be affected negatively […]justonemorepet
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on BSL and Pit Bulls Welcome to the Sochi… on Crews Killing Thousands of Dog… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on ‘Until One Has Loved an… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Should You Adopt a Second… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Three Nuns Adopt the Senior Pi…
- RT @WAGNERGIRLE: VIRAL THIS .. So TRUE RT @CowgirlMoon: @greeneli123 @BetteMidler QUICK.... LOOK OVER THERE... http://t.co/rNDNn0bLfN #tea…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 3 hours ago
- CPAC 2014 is a Wrap wp.me/p1dXJI-5eY #CPAC #CPAC2014 #Palin, #RandPaul #Palin2016 #PalinCruz2016There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 3 hours ago
- Sarah Palin's rousing CPAC 2014 Keynote Speech just uploaded to Palin-Cruz 2016 palin-cruz.org #PalinCruz2013 #CPAC2014There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 5 hours ago
- RT @foxnation: Mass. Legislature Takes On The Creepy Practice Of ‘Upskirting’ nation.foxnews.com/2014/03/08/mas…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 12 hours ago
- RT @PW4SP: Sarah Palin to 'Objective' Media: Declare Your Biases fb.me/2ISmS50zfThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 12 hours ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!