The office of Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) released a report [PDF] today highlighting 100 questionable projects in the stimulus bill.
My personal favorite, largely for the metaphor potential regarding the rate of stimulus spending, is number five: a turtle crossing in Florida. The “eco-passage” is an oldie but a goodie, this one clocking in at $3.4 million and counting in stimulus funds. Here’s a fun fact from the report:
The area has the highest road-kill mortality rate for turtles in the world.
But unlike many a neglected pet turtle, the project isn’t even “shovel ready.” It’s still in the design phase, according to Coburn’s report. So stimulus or no, the turtle genocide continues.
Reason has been all over another one of Coburn’s top ten—the John Murtha-Johnstown Cambria County Airport.
Read the whole thing here [PDF].
Katherine Mangu-Ward | June 16, 2009, 3:32pm
My question is if we have 3.4 Million Dollars to build a safe turtle crossing… how can California justify pulling the bulk of their shelter funds and killing thousands of healthy cats and dogs??? Hello, how about somebody in Congress or the Governor getting some stimulus funds to protect innocent animals in California? - Ask Marion/Just One More Pet
Please write/call/fax your State and Federal Congress-members, Senators, Governor Schwarzenegger, and the Stimulus Czar for aid for our helpless animal friends, and keep up the pressure until the funds come through. A quick note to Oprah would help too!!
- California: Protest Governor’s Plan to Cut Shelter Funding!
- Government Money Used To Build Monkeyless Exhibit While Governor Threatens to Cut Shelter Funding
June 17, 2009 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal Abandonement, Animal or Pet Related Stories, Animal Rescues, animals, Just One More Pet, Pet Adoption, Pet Friendship and Love, Pet Owner's Rights, Political Change, Stop Animal Cruelty, Stop Euthenization, Uncategorized, Unusual Stories, We Are All God's Creatures | Animal Advocate, ASPCA, Cats, dogs, federal funds for California Animals, Oprah, Oprah Winfey, road-kill mortality, Senator Tom Coburn, shelter funds, shelters, Stimulus Czar, stimulus funds for California's Animals, Stop Schwatzenneger's Shelter Fund Cuts, TARP money, turtle crossing, turtles | Leave a Comment
Hi, all you animal lovers!
This is pretty simple… Please tell ten friends to each tell a further ten today!
The Animal Rescue Site is having trouble getting enough people to click on it daily so they can meet their quota of getting free food donated every day to abused and neglected animals. It takes less than a minute (about 15 seconds) to go to their site and click on the purple box ‘fund food for animals for free’. This doesn’t cost you a thing.
Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate food to abandoned/neglected animals in exchange for advertising.
Here’s the web site! Please pass it along to people you know.
(Yup, snopes says it’s legit (hasn’t been updated since 2007).
Confirmed by snopes.com as legitimate
Posted: Just One More Pet
June 17, 2009 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal Abandonement, animal abuse, Animal or Pet Related Stories, Animal Rescues, animals, Just One More Pet, Pet Abuse, Pet Friendship and Love, Pet Nutrition, Pets, Success Stories, Uncategorized, Unusual Stories, We Are All God's Creatures | abandoned animals, abused animals, animal lovers, Animal Rescue Site, donate pet food, feed hungry animals, feed hungry pets, food for abused animals, neglected animals, Pet Food, Pet Food for Clicks, Pets | 4 Comments
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Be Their Voice Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies companion animals dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States irresponsible pet owners JOMP JustOneMorePet Just One More Pet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice Wild Animals
- Sledding Shelties December 6, 2013Video: Sledding Sheltiesjustonemorepet
- Hernias in Dogs December 6, 2013Definition of Hernias A hernia is an abnormal protrusion of part of the body through the structures that surround it. They can exist at birth or be acquired as a result of trauma and often are genetic. In most cases, affected animals have a weak spot, an unusual opening or some other abnormality in a […]justonemorepet
- Tippy the Fainting Squirrel Has Internet Dying To Find Diagnosis December 4, 2013Bing Video: Tippy the fainting squirrel HuffPo: This candid video above, titled "Tippy the Fainting Squirrel," has slowly become the talk of the Internet this week. The short clip with no information provided by poster Honor Via depicts a squirrel appearing to eat a nut while standing, only to suddenly freeze, tip over for a […]justonemorepet
- Meowsa! Do our pets go to Heaven? December 3, 2013WND: While millions of people grapple with questions about what really happens when they die, now a brand-new book is probing what might actually happen to people’s beloved pets. The title of the book asks the timeless question, “Do Our Pets Go to Heaven?” and features biblical analysis of the issue, along with amazing stories […]justonemorepet
- At the Dog Park: Red Alert Behavior Series: Tail Tucked Plus Risks to Small Dogs December 3, 2013Video: At the Dog Park: Red Alert Behavior Series: Tail Tucked Plus Risks to Small Dogs NoDogAboutIt: Over the holiday weekend, my dogs enjoyed daily visits to the dog park. They loved getting to walk in the woods every day and to meet up with some of their old friends and hang out. Daisy is […]justonemorepet
- Pip’s Monday Poem December 2, 2013 justonemorepet
- Elwood, Crowned World’s Ugliest Dog in 2007, Has Died December 1, 2013Elwood, the New Jersey canine that was crowned the world’s ugliest dog in 2007 and later became the topic of a children’s book preaching acceptance died. unexpectedly Thanksgiving morning at age. His owner, Karen Quigley, said the Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix died after having some heath issues in recent months but recently appeared to […]justonemorepet
- Advent Advent Christmas Dog December 1, 2013Video: Advent Advent Christmas Dog Advent – The Season of Anticipation and Hope – WoC 2013justonemorepet
- Happy Thanksgiving From Just One More Pet (JOMP) November 28, 2013Thanksgiving Pet Recipe of the Day Simple Roasted Organs (This is a great recipe to make up for Thanksgiving to feed your canine friends… you can substitute chicken for the turkey and add a few turkey scraps at carving time, or just bake the liver and giblets and add the warm turkey as you carve… […]justonemorepet
- Being Overweight Shaves Nearly a Year from Your Dog’s Life, Especially in These 5 Breeds November 27, 2013Story at-a-glance Recent research suggests that dogs that are overweight at middle age may not live as long as dogs of normal weight. A study of approximately 5,500 dogs from 10 different breeds showed that those who are overweight at middle age can have their lives cut short by up to 10 months. This is […]justonemorepet
- Sledding Shelties December 6, 2013
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!
The Andreas04 Theme.