The office of Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) released a report [PDF] today highlighting 100 questionable projects in the stimulus bill.
My personal favorite, largely for the metaphor potential regarding the rate of stimulus spending, is number five: a turtle crossing in Florida. The “eco-passage” is an oldie but a goodie, this one clocking in at $3.4 million and counting in stimulus funds. Here’s a fun fact from the report:
The area has the highest road-kill mortality rate for turtles in the world.
But unlike many a neglected pet turtle, the project isn’t even “shovel ready.” It’s still in the design phase, according to Coburn’s report. So stimulus or no, the turtle genocide continues.
Reason has been all over another one of Coburn’s top ten—the John Murtha-Johnstown Cambria County Airport.
Read the whole thing here [PDF].
Katherine Mangu-Ward | June 16, 2009, 3:32pm
My question is if we have 3.4 Million Dollars to build a safe turtle crossing… how can California justify pulling the bulk of their shelter funds and killing thousands of healthy cats and dogs??? Hello, how about somebody in Congress or the Governor getting some stimulus funds to protect innocent animals in California? - Ask Marion/Just One More Pet
Please write/call/fax your State and Federal Congress-members, Senators, Governor Schwarzenegger, and the Stimulus Czar for aid for our helpless animal friends, and keep up the pressure until the funds come through. A quick note to Oprah would help too!!
- California: Protest Governor’s Plan to Cut Shelter Funding!
- Government Money Used To Build Monkeyless Exhibit While Governor Threatens to Cut Shelter Funding
June 17, 2009 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal Abandonement, Animal or Pet Related Stories, Animal Rescues, animals, Just One More Pet, Pet Adoption, Pet Friendship and Love, Pet Owner's Rights, Political Change, Stop Animal Cruelty, Stop Euthenization, Uncategorized, Unusual Stories, We Are All God's Creatures | Animal Advocate, ASPCA, Cats, dogs, federal funds for California Animals, Oprah, Oprah Winfey, road-kill mortality, Senator Tom Coburn, shelter funds, shelters, Stimulus Czar, stimulus funds for California's Animals, Stop Schwatzenneger's Shelter Fund Cuts, TARP money, turtle crossing, turtles | Leave a comment
Hi, all you animal lovers!
This is pretty simple… Please tell ten friends to each tell a further ten today!
The Animal Rescue Site is having trouble getting enough people to click on it daily so they can meet their quota of getting free food donated every day to abused and neglected animals. It takes less than a minute (about 15 seconds) to go to their site and click on the purple box ‘fund food for animals for free’. This doesn’t cost you a thing.
Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate food to abandoned/neglected animals in exchange for advertising.
Here’s the web site! Please pass it along to people you know.
(Yup, snopes says it’s legit (hasn’t been updated since 2007).
Confirmed by snopes.com as legitimate
Posted: Just One More Pet
June 17, 2009 Posted by justonemorepet | Animal Abandonement, animal abuse, Animal or Pet Related Stories, Animal Rescues, animals, Just One More Pet, Pet Abuse, Pet Friendship and Love, Pet Nutrition, Pets, Success Stories, Uncategorized, Unusual Stories, We Are All God's Creatures | abandoned animals, abused animals, animal lovers, Animal Rescue Site, donate pet food, feed hungry animals, feed hungry pets, food for abused animals, neglected animals, Pet Food, Pet Food for Clicks, Pets | 4 Comments
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies Puppy puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Power of Plastic… Horrible August 23, 2014The power of plastic! This turtle likely crawled through a discarded plastic ring of a 6-pack of beer or soda when it was a baby, and now is being forever strangled in a plastic hangman’s noose! Share this if you are not OK with it. #jeffcorwin #recyclejustonemorepet
- Canine Dental Care Importance Often Overlooked August 16, 2014Paying attention to your dog and cat’s dental health is far too often overlooked, but can make a huge difference in their overall health! By Marion Algier – JOMP Photo via Pinterest Catch Fred - By Melissa Turner When it comes to the proper care of our four-legged friends one of the most important aspects […]justonemorepet
- Found This Baby Dying On A Hot Sidewalk. What He Does Next Will Floor You August 8, 2014Amazing!! PawMyGosh: It was a hot Florida day when Jeff Longo spotted something tiny on the sidewalk. When he looked closer, he realized it was a baby squirrel. It was lying there on the hot pavement close to death. He thought there was no way it would survive. But he was gonna do everything in […]justonemorepet
- Is Your Dog Bouncing Off the Walls, This Could Be Why August 3, 2014HuffPo: If your canine companion is tightly wound, wired, has no desire (ever) to settle down, relax, regroup, you probably refer to him as being hyperactive or suffering from ADHD. But even though the term is widely used in our society today, the actual clinical syndrome of hyperactivity is rare in canines. It’s probably more […]justonemorepet
- Pet Poisons: The Top 10 Suspects for Dogs – And for Cats August 3, 2014Story at-a-glance Earlier in the year, the Pet Poison Helpline released its annual list of most common pet toxins for 2013. For the first time, canine joint supplements made the top 10 list of dog toxins. Fortunately, most dogs who sample too many joint supplements only develop diarrhea, but in rare cases of overdose, liver […]justonemorepet
- The Ultimate Dog Pool Party July 26, 2014Video: The Ultimate Dog Pool Party… Fun!justonemorepet
- Pit Bull Hailed as Hero for Alerting Deaf Boy to Fire With a Lick July 17, 2014AP Photo: Indianapolis Fire Department, Rita Reith This photo provided by the Indianapolis Fire Department shows Ace, a pit bull, resting outside the home of Lindsay and James Bernard of Indianapolis after the home caught fire on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A two-year old male pit bull named Ace is being hailed […]justonemorepet
- Off to the Races… Weiner Dog Races That Is July 13, 2014Wiener Dog Races, Kalispell, MT There’s Nothing Like Wiener Dog Races! Oktoberfest Wiener Dog Races.mpg Barrel Racing Wiener Dog Jerry needs no help playing with his ball. Sassy Dachshund Puppy Cute Dachshund montage Daisy – Teckel à poil long – HD Dachshund Water Race Wake Up Mommy!! I Wants Breakfast!! Teckel Superstar! – Dackel, kleiner […]justonemorepet
- Never Punish Your Pet for This Accident! July 13, 2014Video: Urinary Incontinence in Dogs and Cats By Dr. Karen Becker – HuffPo Please note this article addresses involuntary passage of urine only, and isn’t intended to cover other urination-related problems like too-frequent urination or behavioral-related problems like submissive urination. Involuntary Passage of Urine Involuntary passage of urine normally oc […]justonemorepet
- Keeping Your Pets Safe on the 4th of July July 3, 2014Family and friends of G.R. Gordon-Ross watch his private fireworks show at the Youth Sports Complex in Lawrence, Kan., Friday, June 28, 2013. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner) Mercury News – Originally posted on July 02, 2013: The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. Hot dogs, potato salad and, of course, fireworks. But Independence […]justonemorepet
- Power of Plastic… Horrible August 23, 2014
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
- Watcher of Weasels » Forum: What’s Behind The Downturn In The GOP’s Chances To Take The Senate? watcherofweasels.org/forum-whats-be… via @WeaselWatcherThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 2 months ago
- RT @peddoc63: There are〰80 members of Dem. Party who R members of Communist Party🙀@AllenWest politico.com/news/stories/0… @LodiSilverado http://t…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 2 months ago
- RT @ChuckNellis: Eternally, I serve ONE. http://t.co/P1i58aTvnmThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 2 months ago
- RT @stephenfhayes: But it would be a shame if the US chose to set aside the results of an election simply to placate the losing candidate -…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 2 months ago
- RT @marymauldin: Police disrespected... Thugs respected by this Admin. http://t.co/V9YRsLCm9eThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 2 months ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!