Teen Kills Kitten in Oven; Faces 10-Year Sentence
On June 3, ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement Agents arrested Cheyenne Cherry, a 17-year-old resident of the Bronx, for allegedly killing a two-month-old kitten by burning her to death in an oven. In addition to cruelty to animals, Cherry was charged with multiple counts of burglary, arson and criminal mischief. Under New York State law, Cherry is considered an adult and faces more than 10 years in prison if convicted of all charges.
Cherry admits that she broke into the home of an ex-roommate on May 6 with the intent to “play a joke and mess up her apartment.” Cherry and an accomplice allegedly threw bleach on the walls of the apartment, slashed furniture and stole various items. Before leaving, the pair put the victim’s kitten, Tiger Lily, into the hot oven.
When police arrived at the Bronx apartment to investigate smoke complaints, Tiger Lily was found dead. Her remains were taken to ASPCA Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital, where veterinarians had to perform a necropsy to determine the sex of the badly burned kitten.
According to Joseph Pentangelo, Assistant Director of ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement, Cherry’s explanation for placing the kitten in the oven was simply: “I hate cats.”
If you know of a child or teen who is hurting animals, please report his or her behavior to the proper authorities—kids who assault animals may eventually act out on people. The ASPCA offers a list of ways to intervene when a child or teen displays dangerous behavior around animals.
To report animal cruelty in New York City, contact the ASPCA anonymous tip line at (877) THE-ASPCA. Visit our Report Cruelty FAQ to learn how to report cruelty elsewhere.
***”Horrible” and I’m glad to see that the girl might get 10-years, but I honestly think she should get 10-years+ for killing the cat alone and then additional time for burglary, arson and criminal mischief. What a horrible way to die for that kitten. And it has been proven that people who can treat animals that way are also prone to domestic violence and cruelty to children, and are often sociopaths. Her statement where she killed this kitty for no reason in this heinous manner with no remorse and then makes a flippant comment like “I hate cats” kinda says it all. I say throw the book at her without parole, mandatory counseling, and a lifetime tracking band like child abusers get when she gets out including a provision of no contact with animals… or something like this or worse will happen with this gal again!! I’d be up for life without parole like the police dog killer got!!
- Police Dog Killer Gets Life Without Parole
- Domestic and Animal Abuse
- Father Arrested for Allegedly Killing Family Dog in Front of Children
- Warning Signs That Your Child’s Behavior Is Dangerous To Pets
- Manhatten Man Arrested For Beating Dog and Girlfriend
- Alabama Dog Fighting Bust
Cheyenne Cherry tossed her ex-roommate’s kitty, Tiger Lily (above), into the stove, then left so she didn’t have to hear the cat’s anguished cries.
Cheyenne Cherry is currently scheduled to appear in court on July 15, 2009.
FULL CONTACT INFORMATION. Sample letter follows
***We highly recommend you snail-mail or fax to those contacts without
working or publicly available email addresses.
Robert T. Johnson, Bronx District Attorney
The Office of the Bronx County District Attorney
198 East 161st Street; Bronx, NY 10451
ph: 718-590-2000, 718-590-2312; fax: 718-590-2198
Steven Reed, Director of Public Information
The Office of the Bronx County District Attorney
198 East 161st Street; Bronx, NY 10451
ph: 718-590-2235, 718-590-2234
Joe McCormack, Assistant District Attorney
Bronx County District Attorney’s Office
198 East 161st Street; Bronx, New York 10451
ph: 718-590-2000, 718-590-2026; fax: 718-781-1129
Nancy Borko, Senior Assistant District Attorney
Bronx District Attorney’s Office
215 East 161st Street; Bronx, NY 10451-3511
Maria T. Rivero, Administrative Assistant District Attorney:
Anthony Girese, Counsel to the District Attorney
Bronx County District Attorney’s Office
198 East 161st Street; Bronx, New York 10451
ph: 718-590-2175; fax: 718-992-0545
***KINSHIP CIRCLE CANNOT GUARANTEE EMAILS WILL WORK***
During campaigns, recipients may change or disable their email addresses.
Emails from government, corporate, or institute websites may be incorrect.
GET A FORMATTED LETTER (WORD DOC): email@example.com
Easily modify letter. Copy/paste it into an email or print letter to fax or mail.
The Office of the Bronx County District Attorney:
Thank you for recognizing public concern in the case of Tiger Lily, a kitten scorched alive inside an oven on May 6, 2009. I understand Cheyenne Cherry, 17, is charged with felony aggravated animal cruelty, burglary, arson, criminal trespass, reckless endangerment and criminal mischief.
I respectfully ask for your utmost deliberation in the investigation of
Cherry and her accomplice, who allegedly broke into ex-roommate Valerie Hernandez’s home and trapped Tiger Lily inside an activated stove. Apparently, they ransacked the apartment and raised the stove’s heat before fleeing with stolen items. The girls never heard Tiger Lily’s last screams and scratches against the oven door.
Please seek maximum adult incarceration of two years for felony animal
cruelty. Cherry also faces possible jail terms of 15 years for second-degree
burglary, one year for arson, and four years for criminal mischief. I urge
you to hold both teens accountable. Both require psychological evaluation
and therapy. Both should be barred from possessing or working with animals.
At the very least, they ought to be interned in a juvenile detention hall
until age 18 (if applicable). Then, reassessment of the girls’ personality
traits can determine if adult imprisonment is necessary.
Adolescents who commit brutal crimes against humans usually begin with animals. Columbine shooter Eric Harris, 18, smashed mice with a crowbar and set them on fire. Washington D.C. serial killer Lee Boyd Malvo killed stray cats with a slingshot. Kip Kinkle blew up a cow and burned a live cat. He then shot 25 classmates and murdered his parents in Springfield, Oregon. After Luke Woodham, 16, mortally stabbed his mother and shot nine others, he confessed to bludgeoning his dog with baseball bats and setting her on fire.
These murderers, like Cherry, were able to torture and kill without remorse. Indeed, the intentional burning of an animal is a “particularly significant predictor of violent and even homicidal behavior,” says Dr. Randall Lockwood of ASPCA Anti-Cruelty Initiatives and a frequent consultant for cruelty investigators, law enforcers and mental health professionals.
Cherry “thought we would play a joke on Valerie.” But she and her friend are not guilty of warped humor or bad choices. Roasting a defenseless kitten is the calculated action of a sociopath and a predator.
Thank you for prosecuting Cherry and her accomplice to the fullest degree allowed by law.
SOURCE OF INFORMATION / REFERENCE LINKS
Terri Kelley, Kinship Circle Investigative Research Aide
BRONX LOVE SPAT SPURS SICKENING KITTEN SLAY
Bronx teen confesses to roasting kitten
Petition to have Cheyenne Cherry tried as Adult
Posted: Just One More Pet
June 13, 2009 - Posted by justonemorepet | animal abuse, animals, Just One More Pet, Pet Abuse, Political Change, Stop Animal Cruelty, We Are All God's Creatures | animal cruelty, ASPCA, ASPCA Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital, ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement Agents, be part of the solution, cat killer prosecuted, Cats, cruelty to animals, domestic and animal abuse related, If you are not part of the solution..., intervene in child or teen abusive behavior toward animals, kids who assault animals, kitten burned to death, kittens, kitty, kitty heard screaming, New York, Pet Abuse, Prosecute Cheyenne Cherry to the fullest, require tracking bracelets for animal abusers, sociopaths assault animals, speak up, stiffer animal abuse laws needed, stop cruelty to animals, stop pet abuse, teen kills cat, teen kills kitten, teen kills kitten in oven, Tiger Lily, tougher punishment for pet abuse, we are their voice
9 Comments »
Save a Life…Adopt Just One More…Pet!
Everyday we read or hear another story about pets and other animals being abandoned in record numbers while at the same time we regularly hear about crazy new rules and laws being passed limiting the amount of pets that people may have, even down to one or two… or worse yet, none.
Nobody is promoting hoarding pets or animals, but at a time when there are more pets and animals of all types being abandoned or being taken to shelters already bursting at the seams, there is nothing crazier than legislating away the ability of willing adoptive families to take in just one more pet!!
Our goal is to raise awareness and help find homes for all pets and animals that need one by helping to match them with loving families and positive situations. Our goal is also to help fight the trend of unfavorable legislation and rules in an attempt to stop unnecessary Euthenization!!
“All over the world, major universities are researching the therapeutic value of pets in our society and the number of hospitals, nursing homes, prisons and mental institutions which are employing full-time pet therapists and animals is increasing daily.” ~ Betty White, American Actress, Animal Activist, and Author of Pet Love
So if you have the room in your home and the love in your heart… Adopt Just One More Pet or consider becoming a Foster parent for pets… Also check out: Little Critter: Just One More Pet
Photos By: Marion Algier – The UCLA Shutterbug
There is always room for Just One More Pet. So if you have room in your home and room in your heart… Adopt Just One More! If you live in an area that promotes unreasonable limitations on pets… fight the good fight and help change the rules and legislation…
Save the Life of Just One More…Animal!
Recent and Seasonal Shots
Photos by the UCLA Shutterbug are protected by copyright, Please email at JustOneMorePet@gmail.com or find us on twitter @JustOneMorePet for permission to duplicate for commerical purposes or to purchase photos.
If you can adopt or foster just one more pet, you could be saving a life, while adding joy to your own! Our shelters are over-flowing… Please join the fight to make them all ‘NO-Kill’ facilities.
Protect Your Pet From Tarter and Gum DiseasePlaque Attack Triple Care Dental Spray Amazon.com Widgets
Adopt Just One More Pet All Animals All Pets animal abuse animal advocacy animal advocates animal cruelty animals ASPCA Bears be part of the solution Birds California canines Cats cats and dogs Chihuahuas China Chiweenies Christmas cute dog Doggies dogs dogs and cats Dr. Becker elephants Fido fish for the love of a pet German Shepherd Halloween holidays holidays with pets horses HSUS Humane Society Humane Society of the United States JOMP Just One More Pet JustOneMorePet kittens kitties livestock Love man's best friend man's best friends military dogs monkeys New York Pet Abuse Pet Adoption Pet costumes Pet Food pet fun Pet Health Pet Parents Pets pet safety pets and holidays Pets Are Family Pet Therapy Puppies Puppy puppy mills pups rabbits reptiles responsible pet ownership responsible pet parents service dogs Stop Animal Cruelty Texas There Is Always Room For One More Pet we are their voice
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014Video: Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + Technorati Tags: Movie Dogs,Movies,Movie Animals,Dogs,Rin Tin Tin,Lassie,Benji,Asta,Toto,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Hero Dog Returns Home After Taking Bullet for Family March 6, 2014If Charlie had not been in the line of fire, bullets may have struck one of the family’s children, the dog’s owner says North Central Shelter Intervention Program via Facebook Charlie happily sits with her family on Monday, March 3, 2014, since undergoing surgery to have her leg amputated after heroically taking a bullet for […]justonemorepet
- Mr. Pepper – A Dachshund Escape March 4, 2014Too cute! Video: Mr. Pepper Technorati Tags: Dachshund,Puppies,Puppy,Cuteness,JOMP,Just One More Petjustonemorepet
- Live: Iditarod (Sled Dog Race) 2014 from Anchorage Alaska is Underway March 2, 2014Iditarod 2014 is Underway… by Isabel Matos – A Time For Choosing The Iditarod 2014 Ceremonial Start started at 10 a.m. Alaska time today (March 1, 2014). It should end between the 9th and 21st of March. The Iditarod Sled Dog race will start from Willow as planned. Each team consists of 12 to 16 […]justonemorepet
- Arizona is Being Overrun by Packs of Vicious Wild Chihuahuas… Vicious? Really? February 27, 2014So what the heck is going on in Arizona? Vicious wild Chihuahuas? They are Chihuahuas for God sake… Why didn’t they notice this sooner? And as for Chihuahuas nipping people, even at kids… really? A big deal? Not so much in my book… And terrorizing neighborhoods? Again, really? A bit of a stretch I’d say, […]justonemorepet
- Pros & Cons of Neutering–Really? There are Cons? February 22, 2014Puppies rely on us to make informed decisions. Image Copr. Fernanda Cerioni/Flickr By Amy Shojai at Amy Shojai’s Bling, Bitches and Blood Yes, actually, there are and that may surprise you. It did me. After all, we’ve heard from animal welfare advocates for years preaching the gospel of spay/neuter. Heck, I preached this myself and […]justonemorepet
- Shovel Ready Jobs… February 22, 2014Amen!! Technorati Tags: Shovel Ready Jobs,Jobs,Signs,Truth,Comparisons,JOMP,Just One More Pet,Obamalandjustonemorepet
- US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy Saving Dogs of Sochi February 18, 2014One of the many dark tales coming out of Sochi is the revelation that Russian authorities have been executing stray dogs. US Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy plans to do something about it by saving them. American Olympic skier Gus Kenworthy and Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska are doing their part to save the stray dogs in […]justonemorepet
- Logan’s Law passes big hurdle in attempt to create Michigan animal abusers registry February 11, 2014Logan, a husky owned by Matt Falk of Wales Township, died from complications of someone allegedly spraying acid in his face. / Gannett Michigan By Nicole Hayden – LSJ.com Gannett Michigan: Logan’s Law, a package of four bills designed to fight animal abuse passed through the Michigan House of Representatives Judiciary Committee on Thursday. “We […] […]justonemorepet
- BSL and Pit Bulls February 11, 2014What exactly is BSL? My Pit Bull Friend: BSL is an abbreviation for Breed Specific Legislation. Not only is this Legislation targeting specific breeds of dog, but dogs that appear to have characteristics of certain breeds. Your dogs may not even be close to what is on the ban list but may be affected negatively […]justonemorepet
- Tribute to Movie Dogs – Rin Tin Tin Lassie Benji Asta Toto + March 7, 2014
Find Pet Friendly Hotels
artiewhitefox on BSL and Pit Bulls Welcome to the Sochi… on Crews Killing Thousands of Dog… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on ‘Until One Has Loved an… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Should You Adopt a Second… Hopeful News: LA Cit… on Three Nuns Adopt the Senior Pi…
- RT @SD_Wheeler: Now if this doesn't scare the shit out of you......... http://t.co/W54tisQ518There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 hour ago
- RT @gary4205: @MikeHersh Can I get some cookies then? Cummings' stunt was pure kabuki theater to distract from Obama's crimes against USA @…There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 hour ago
- RT @AskMarion: Join Team Palin-Cruz 2016 palin-cruz.org #PallinCruz2016There Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 hour ago
- RT @michellemalkin: My column today: Eat your own words, Debbie Wasserman Schultz! ==> michellemalkin.com/2014/03/07/eat… #obamacare #failThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 hour ago
- RT @gary4205: @LibertyBillN Here ya go: wp.me/pxxfo-4bl Palin-Cruz 2016! @idontcall911 @signalhz @SanddraggerThere Is Always Room For Just One More Pet! 1 hour ago
Great Book for Children and Pet Lovers… And a Perfect Holiday GiftOne More Pet Emily loves animals so much that she can’t resist bringing them home. When a local farmer feels under the weather, she is only too eager to “feed the lambs, milk the cows and brush the rams.” The farmer is so grateful for Emily’s help that he gives her a giant egg... Can you guess what happens after that? The rhythmic verse begs to be read aloud, and the lively pictures will delight children as they watch Emily’s collection of pets get bigger and bigger.
~~ 2000+ Dog Books And All Things Dog ~~
Buy Now: A Must Have For Every Pet Owner
Nail Clipping Made Easy and Painless
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
If You Were Stranded On An Island…A recent national survey revealed just how much Americans love their companion animals. When respondents were asked whether they’d like to spend life stranded on a deserted island with either their spouse or their pet, over 60% said they would prefer their dog or cat for companionship!